Can I Get a Breast Reduction with a Miltral Valve Prolapse, IBS, and Pituitary Adenoma

I was seen by a plastic surgeon that claims I should not have breast reduction surgery because of my medical history. Is it still possible to undergo breast reduction surgery with my medical history. I currently am not taking any medication and I have not had any medical problems in the past six years.

Breast Reduction with Medical Problems?

In my opinion, none of the medical conditions you have listed are absolute contraindications to breast reduction surgery.

Prior to surgery you should undergo a full workup by the physicians who know you best and obtained their “clearance” for the procedure. These physicians may also provide helpful guidance relevant to your perioperative care.

Breast reduction with medical issues

I think the important thing here is to get clearance from your heart doctor and your endocrinologist and if they feel you are medically able to withstand the surgery then go for it.You also have to weigh your symptoms IE do you have enormous breasts causing constant pain?then yes you should consider it.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction even with health problems?

One of my most appreciative breast reduction patients was born with congenital heart defects, requiring multiple open heart procedures throughout her life, and chronic coumadin (blood thinner) use. 

She suffered from symptomatic macromastia (large breasts causing back and neck pain) and with her cardiologists blessing and support, not to mention an overnight stay in a cardiac intensive care unit (just to be safe), she did remarkably well with her breast reduction surgery.

Needless to say, comorbid health conditions are not a exclusion to breast reduction surgery, your surgeon may have to change his approach. Get medical clearance, have your surgery at a hospital, not an office based surgery center, plan on an overnight stay. 

Medical Clearance for Surgery

Plastic / Cosmetic surgery is elective and should only be performed in healthy patients.  Sometimes, however, breast reduction may actually be a health improvement in terms of breathing, mobility, etc.  It would be essential that you have a complete medical evaluation and clearance from your general internist and cardiologist prior to having surgery.  You may also require extra monitoring in the hospital after surgery.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Can I have plastic surgery with multiple health problems or past history?

Indeed, complicated health history may negatively impact the safety of a procedure.  However, if a patient is stable and compliant with recommended medications, surgery may be entertained.  A recent evaluation with the patients  treating medical specialists blessing is mandatory.  I have performed a facelift on a lady with a heart transplant.  She likely was healthier than her medical team! 

H. Michael Roark, MD

Breast reduction possible with imperfect health history

Breast reduction is possible with such conditions as mitral valve prolapse, IBD, and other conditions. The key is a complete medical examination and clearance from your primary care physician. If your medical conditions are well managed and under control you may be a good candidate for reduction.

peterejohnsonmd

Yes with a full medical, cardiology, endocrine clearances and in hospital with overnight. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski