Breast Reduction Using Liposuction for a Young Person?

I have DD breasts, and want to have them reduced (hopefully to a b or c cup)... I was a very keen runner, but now find excercise uncomfortable and difficult. My question is: is breast reduction by liposuction worth considering? I am young (under 25), but when I feel my breasts, they seem to be made up mostly of fat? Thank-you for your help. Greatly appreciated!

Liposuction breast reduction candidate

Liposuction breast reduction can decrease the size of breasts if they are comprised mainly of fatty tissue. However, if you have excess glandular tissue, then traditional breast reduction would be better for you. You would have to see an experience board certified plastic surgeon to determine which technique is right for you.

Breast Reduction with Liposuction?

It is difficult to give you good advice without direct examination but based on your description of wanting to achieve a significant  change with the breast reduction,  I think you will be disappointed with the results of lipo suction surgery.

Direct examination by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon will be helpful.

Breast Reduction - Using Liposuction?

Hi Roberta-may,

It's worth considering, but it's probably not the right choice.

Actually, of course, it's very hard for any of us to make an absolute recommendation without being able to examine you or see photos.  In general, though, while you may be able reduce the volume of the breasts with liposuction alone, you're left with the issue of what to do with the extra skin, if there is any. 

And there usually is.  In fact, a large part of any reduction or lift is typically the removal of excess skin, which is what helps provide the "lift" portion of the surgery, along with tightening the skin envelope (ie, what holds the tissue in its new shape).  Will your skin just do that on its own?  No one can say for sure, but it seems that in general it needs to be done surgically; ie, not just via lipo alone.  And the greater the reduction (ie, the more you hope to change your bra size) the more your skin would have to shrink UP.

One choice is to go ahead a do the lipo with the understanding that if your skin/breast tissue sags too much, you still have the option to undergo a more traditional procedure.  That means two surgeries, but it would at least let you see what the results of the lipo would be.

My guess, though, is that it will probably be best for you to consider - and choose - a more traditional breast lift/reduction; meaning a lollipop or inverted-T scar.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Liposuction and breast reduction

Liposuction is used in some individuals for breast reduction when the breasts are mostly fat and the patient is not very healthy to undergo excisional surgery.  But it does not lift the breasts or tighten the skin envelope, which the majority of patients need.  A formal breast reduction using either a vertical skin excision or inverted "T" would more than likely be better.

Liposuction Breast Reduction

I am not a fan of using liposuction for breast reduction as I feel there is a problem with the skin redraping itself even in younger patients.  My only experience was with a patient who was younger than you and who had less tissue removed.  She did not have a good result (had a greal deal of sagging which did not correct itself with time) and, in fact, went on to have a conventional reduction a few years later.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Breast reduction

After an examination, a plastic surgeon can tell you which options are best. If you are a runner, then I would assume you have average or less than average percentage body fat. It would be unlikely that your breasts are predominantly fat. With the deisred decrease in cup, you will experiencie drooping following liposuction alone.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Breast Reduction and Liposuction

Breast reduction can sometimes be achieved satisfactorily with liposuction alone. If your breasts have a lot of fat, as you believe, it would be worth trying. Liposuction has the  limitation of not removing skin. Therefore it may not give a very effective lift. However, if you want minimal scars, intact sensation, and the likelihood of being able to breast feed, you may want to accept that limitation.

Hugh McLean, MD
Mississauga Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction with liposuction works.

Hi.

But it has real limitations, and may not meet your expectations.  Typically, you can only go down one or two cup sizes, and it only corrects mild sagging.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Liposuction Breast reduction

Liposuction breast reduction is effective if the breast  are not very  Large,  Droopy,  or dense, ie thick breast tissue

It is effective in male breast reduction,   Gynecomastia

In your case ,you would not be a good candidate as your breasts are too large

I would consider surgical breast reduction,this can be done with a vertical scar without the horizontal scar in the bra line

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction breast reduction

While liposuction can be effective as a breast reduction method, it is generally only useful for reductions up to one cup.  If your breasts are a DD and your breasts are not ptotic ("droopy"), you have a significant amount of glandular tissue within the breast which cannot be treated using liposuction.  Even if enough fat could be removed using liposuction, starting at a DD and going to a B or C would result in a very ptotic breast post-operatively, which most patients would not find acceptable.  I would recommend that you arrange a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon, who could examine you and discuss which methods would be appropriate for you.

Good luck.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board-certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Craig S. Rock, MD