Need Breast Reduction for my Health. I Am 72, in Pain. Cervical Surgery from Car Accident. Hope.Medicare Will Pay?

Serious car acciden left me with 5 herniated discs. Surgery helped the 3 cervical discs. Now at 72 I am having neck and back pain. Deep dents in shoulders. Nuro surgeon, gyn, and PCP all agree I need breast reduction. Will Medicare pay for this? Affects the quality of life. I need help. . 5 ft.3 in. 156 lbs. Wear 36 DDD bra. I do not have a picture, just try to do the best you can. .I am in a lot of pain. Thank you for any help you can give me. Mary Catherine

Doctor Answers 3

Medicare might pay for a breast reduction but it won't be known until after the operation.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Most insurance companies will require prior approval before granting payment for an operation. Medicare does not do this. They decide after the operation whether they will pay. Your plastic surgeon will be able to tell you how Medicare has reimbursed him historically for breast reduction.

Breast Reduction at 72yo

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

 Yes, your insurance carrier should cover a breast reduction. Consider going first to your primary care physician for cardiopulmonary clearance for a general anesthetic. Next, visit your Back Surgeon or Neurologist and make sure that additional treatment for your cervical disc condition would be of little benefit and, they will write a letter of recommendation for your breast reduction surgery. Lastly, take these materials to a member of the ASAPS in your local area for a consult. They are experts in Breast Surgery. Best,



Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

36 DDD - Will Breast Reduction Help Pain?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

     You may be able to get the breast reduction approved through Medicare.  With your herniated disc history, it would be very difficult to determine how much the breast reduction would improve pain.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.