I Had Breast Reduction 10 Days Ago. What is Wrong with the Bottom of my Breasts? Is This Double Bubble? No Implants! (photo)

I Had Breast Reduction 10 Days Ago. What is Wrong with the Bottom of my Breasts? Is This Double Bubble? but I Had No Implants!

Double bubble after breast reduction

The tension in the closure after breast reduction can indeed give the appearance of a double bubble pushing the breast tissue either above or below the natural breast fold or envelope. As things heal and relax the breast will shape again and the double bubble efffect will resolve, unlike the ones associated with a breast implant.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

After breast reduction

What you have is completely within the "normal" result at 10 days after breast reduction and is not a double bubble. That does not happen after a breast reduction.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Lower Pole flatness

After a breast reduction or lift (mastopexy) it is very common for the lower portion of the breast to look flat or unnatural.  This occurs because the sutures and most of the actual surgery is done on the lower portion of the breast.  Initially after surgery these areas are stiffer and less flexible.  As the healing progresses and the collagen is remodeled these areas will soften, become rounder and more breast shaped. 

Donald W. Kress, MD, FACS
Frederick Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Early Results?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

At this stage in your recovery is very difficult to know exactly what is going on along the lower poles of your breasts. For example, the fullness you see in this area may be related to swelling.  in other words, there is  not necessarily anything “wrong with the bottom of your breasts”.

As a matter of fact, if you go on to heal well,  I think you will end up with a very nice result after breast reduction surgery.

I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon who is in a better position to address your questions/concerns specifically.

Healing Concerns Post Breast Reduction

Some discomfort, swelling and discoloration of the #breasts are to be expected for several weeks. The scars at the incision lines typically become reddish and a few weeks after surgery are raised and firm. After a number of months they become pale and soft. After 8-12 months, the scars are relatively inconspicuous.
It is not unusual to experience swelling. Your #healing can continue for 2-3 months for the early period. This includes some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve as well.

Be sure you're walking around the house periodically throughout the day. This will help minimize #swelling and #bruising and help with the #healing process. You do not want to lay in bed for days and days without some mild activity.
If my patients have concerns that their healing or pain are unusual, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined.

Breast reduction

This is very common to have swelling after a breast reduction, particularly in the lower pole of the breast.  With a  lift and reducing the size of the breast,  tension and swelling contribute to the appearance of your breast after 10 days.

It is not a double bubble as seen sometimes following implant surgery. I am sure you will have a great result once all the healing is completed.  Be sure to follow all the postoperative instructions given by your plastic surgeon.

Andrew Turk, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Be patient

I think you have an excellent result after reduction. It is impossible to have  a double bubble with no implants. The lower pole of the breast always takes a little time to settle out. I think you will have a very nice result.

John Alexander II, MD

Early post operative period

The photo that you provided shows a good early post operative breast reduction patient. There is the normal amount of swelling for this much time after surgery and there is good symetry.

You should follow your surgeons post operative instructions and wait for the swelling to resolve.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Don't panic about early Breast Reduction result

Hi there-

From the photo you posted, I would say that what you are seeing is within normal limits, and due to the anticipated swelling and tension that occurs in the early postoperative period.

This should completely resolve as healing proceeds. Be sure to carefully follow all of your surgeon's instructions.