Breast Lump with Implants, Should I Consult With Plastic Surgeon Or Oncologist?

I am confused as to what type of Dr. I go to for this. The Rippel Center (ultrasound after mammo) says that this lump is probably a fatty tumor but my gyno said I should get a specialist's opinion. A plastic surgeon or oncologist? Who does the surgery or biopsy on breasts with implants?

Doctor Answers 7

Breast Lumps and Breast Implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Grace,

A breast lump or mass is best addressed by a breast surgeon who can evaluate the nature of the lump and recommend appropriate treatment, whether close follow up, biopsy or excision. I would also recommend that you inform your plastic surgeon and keep him or her in the loop. Should any surgery be indicated, your plastic surgeon can be part of the team that addresses the lump while recognizing your special circumstance with breast implants. My hope is that you have peace of mind and that you find this to be a fatty tumor.


Behzad Parva, MD, FACS

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Surgeon To Care For Mass After Augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If your mass has characteristics of a fatty tumor or lipoma, it is appropriate for your plastic surgeon to perform the biopsy.  A plastic surgeon is less likely to injure your implant at the time of biopsy.  If the mass is more suspicious, perhaps your plastic surgeon could assist the general or oncologic surgeon.

John Whitt, MD (retired)
Louisville Plastic Surgeon

Lump in breast

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you have had an ultrasound and you were told that you had a lump or fatty tumor in your breast seperate from your implants, you are probably best off seeing a breast surgeon that specializes inthe treatment of breast cancer.  You certainly can be assessed by a plastic surgeon but they will recommend the same.

Breast lump with implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In my practice I refer to oncologic breast surgeon. Than we offer a team approach to the surgery with me in attendance to "protect" the implant (if possible or exchange it). 

Breast lump in someone with breast implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Breast implants should not alter the routine for breast self examination and mammogram. If you have breast implants and detect a lump, your primary care physician or OB/GYN should refer you to a breast center for an ultrasound and MRI, and coordinate an ultrasound guided biopsy with one of their breast surgeons if indicated. With or without implants the same care plans apply.

Best of luck,


Found Breast Lump with Implants, Should I Consult With Plastic Surgeon Or Oncologist?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It would be best for you to see a Breast Surgeon - a surgeon specializing in the treatment of Breast Cancer. You may get that referral from either your GYN or your Plastic surgeon. The next step woould be either a MRI or an ultrasound guided breast mass biopsy to suggest what the cause of the lump may be. Once the cause is established that would guide its treatment. Your Plastic surgeon may suggest what could be done but an Oncologist, an internist who specializes in cancer treatment, would not be required until cancer, if it exists, is diagnosed.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon

Breast lump with implants should be seen by a breast surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Great question Grace.  The answer is that any breast lump identified should be evaluated first by a breast surgeon.  This is a general surgeon who specializes in breast cancer.  That surgeon may ask that a plastic surgeon also evaluate you if/when a biopsy is deemed necessary.  An oncologist is not a surgeon and only would be involved in your care following a biopsy that showed a cancer was present.  Good luck!

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.