Return to Work in 13 Days After Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation?

having breast lift (most extensive one) with aug,. and tummy tuck, i am a hairstylist will i be ok in 13 days to work?

After Mommy Makeover 13 Days Recovery Should Be Adequate for Hair Stylist

We usually recommend two weeks recovery after Mommy Makeover but 13 days should be adequate for your occupation as a Hair Stylist.

Good Luck.

Mommy Makeover Recovery

It is very common for mommy makeovers to include both breast and tummy procedures. Your surgeon will determine if you are a good candidate for a combined procedure based on your health status (past medical history) and your physicial exam. In addition, your surgeon will determine if an overnight stay at the hospital is warranted. After surgery, your pain should be well managed with 1-2 oral pain pills every 4-6 hours. All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck). Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.  So you will definitely need some help with the kids for about 1-2 weeks.  In terms of returning to work, I tell my patients they can return to a desk job 10-14 days after surgery.  Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his staff. Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures. I'm sure you'll love your results.

Returning to Work and Activity Post Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Returning to work after mommy makeover

Thank you for your question. A tummy tuck and breast augmentation are great procedures to combine as they address some of big changes that happen after pregnancy or weight changes. It is often referred to as a mommy makeover. It is a bigger procedure and may often require a night in the hospital.  Returning to work in 13 days is reasonable, but take precautions to not overload your schedule right when you go back as you may still be in the process of building endurance. 

I would consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options in more detail, review if there are any medical reasons to stage the procedure. If they deem you are healthy to have have the combined procedure, then you will only have one recovery.

13 days too soon

I generally recommend patients take at least 3 weeks off from work after an extensive breast lift/augmentation and tummy tuck. Since you will be on your feet and lifting your arms a lot (as hairstylists are prone to do) you may want to consider taking about a month off or so. However, you should ask your surgeon for their recommendation.

Tummy Tuck: When to Return to Work

Your plastic surgeon would be the best one to advise you. Though 13 days may be possible, for my patients I would suggest 3 or more weeks to return to work as a hair stylist. Light walking but not running begins immediately after surgery once you are home. In general for most of my patients, after the operation, basic exercises are recommended, such as walking immediately and progressive activities beginning on the third week. Walking can usually begin in a few days after surgery. Normal activity may be resumed at 3-6 weeks post operation to tolerance and that would include elliptical and light cardio. At 6 weeks core exercises especially crunches (starting slowly and building each week to tolerance) is particularly helpful to show your results following a tummy tuck. Specific time periods for resumption of daily activities, work, and exercise with be further discussed by your surgeon post surgery.

Recovery after Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation

Two weeks should be enough time for you to recover from breast augmentation and tummy tuck. Returning to work would be fine so long as you don't have to do any heavy lifting. You should discuss this with your plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Recovery and time off following

In many ways the combined surgery can slow you down. Recovery from breast implants requires 3-5 days off of work for a desk job. Time off and recovery from a tummy tuck typically takes about 2 weeks from a desk job. However when they are combined, it makes it more difficult to get out of bed because instead of using your stomach muscles (which have been repaired in the tummy tuck)  to assist you, you will use your arms but those will be sore from under the muscle placement of breast implants. Generally it will take 3 weeks for recovery from a mommy makeover in my experience.

Recovery after a breast augmentation and tummy tuck

Two weeks should be fine to return to work after a breast augmentation and tummy tuck surgery.  You should avoid heavy lifting or strenuous activity with your arms for about four weeks however.  As a hairstylist, your most difficult task may be holding the hairdryer,however by two weeks this should not be an issue for you.

Some patients can even go back to work in one week, but most patients are more comfortable with the two week time period.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Realistic expectations

I will usualy  tell patients that they will need at least  2 weeks off of work after a Tummy Tuck combo or just a Tummy Tuck procedure.  Going back to soon, could cause unforseen post operative problems, but certinly if you are healing properly and your Drains are removed from your Tummy Tuck going back to work sooner is fine.  Consult with at least 3 different surgeons and perhaps talk to their previous patients.  Remember everyone heals at a different rate of time. 

Linda Swanson, MD