Deflated and needing implants: Do I also need a breast lift? (photo)

I definitely want implants as I feel deflated. I am torn on the breast lift. I've seen 4 dr's. 2 dr's said I needed the lollipop lift. One dr said I could do a small lift just by cutting a crescent shape above the nipple and then lifting. The last dr said no lift necessary. I'm looking for natural "womanly" looking breasts and I don't want to look like I have bullets or coconuts sitting on my chest. Is it possible to do just implants only and achieve the look I want or do I need the lift?

Breast Revision with Lift to Restore Volume

The intentional result of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis) as a result of aging, weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding. However, many women report more satisfaction if an implant is used at the time of #mastopexy. The implants further shape their breasts, restoring superior fullness or volume which may be decreased over time.In regards to implants alone, this is usually said to be mistake by patients reflecting back at the decision. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. At times it's possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result. There are a variety of techniques for a #BreastLift. I prefer to use the short scar technique, “#lollipop scar” or “#donut lift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring. Although the “anchor-shape” or inverted “T” incision is still more popular in the United States, it represents an older technique with extensive #scarring and a less optimal result in many cases. 
It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with breast #augmentation and the incision type, #implant placement, and implant type. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your breast augmentation. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Have Breast Implants First Decide On Lift After 6 Months

Thank you for your question. You do have glandular ptosis which means that the breast gland falls below your inframammary crease. You certainly can have breast implants without a breast lift and you may be perfectly happy with the result.

If after the breast implants have settled you feel that you have too much sag then a breast lift can be more accurately done as a second procedure.

However if you're happy with the appearance your breast after implants alone then you will be able to avoid the scarring associated with a breast lift.

Best to first have a consultation with board certified plastic surgeon

A personal consultation is necessary in order to give you a more accurate evaluation. Many women who undergo breast lift surgery choose to have breast implants, and breast implants alone provide a certain degree of lifting. I would suggest scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your goals and concerns.

Eliminate the implant, Mini Ultimate Breast Lift

You definitely want implants because your breasts are deflated and question whether you need a lift.  The photographs show your breasts are too low and the areolas are below the inferior edge of the pectoralis major muscle even with your arm elevated.  However, one alternative that you have not discussed is a lift without implants.  There is a new technique called The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift which allows you to lift your breast tissue, reshape it and increase the cleavage.  This is done through an incision around the areola avoiding ugly vertical incisions.  This all natural operation avoids implants therefore eliminating their associated complications including descent.  If you are satisfied with the cup size then I recommend The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Do I Need a Breast Lift?

If your breasts looked as they do without elevated arms (which partly simulate a lift) I would say no to the lift and encourage implant alone. 

A breast lift is usually done for one of these reasons:
•elevate the nipple and areola
•remove excess skin from the breast (after weight loss, pregnancy, aging)
•create or restore symmetry

As far as nipple and areolar position, yours appear to be borderline. We look at the distance from the top of the breast bone, normal being 8 to  9 inches. Because that can vary some with patient height and the position of the breast on the torso, our principal landmark is the breast fold, and the bottom of the areola should be even with or above the fold. In the attached photo, that's where they are.

A photo with the arms down at your sides, with a side view might ellicit a different response. Consider attaching the added photos.

Lift?

It is difficult to tell from your photo alone with your arms elevated.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Do I Need a Breast Lift?

Based on ONLY one posted photo and no in person examination I would recommend ultra high silicone implants in 400 cc range without any lift. If after 3 month you still feel you could/should be higher than consider a lifting operation under Local anesthesia 

Breast Lift or Just Implants

We would need to see a lateral picture and also a picture with your arms at your sides.  With your arms up, like in your picture, you are lifting up your breasts and it changes the shape of your breasts.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Impossible to know with the one pic you provide

in order to determine if you need a lift and which time, you need to provide a side view and front view with your arms down.  i will say, that with each passing year of practice, if it looks like you might need the lollipop lift, you probably should get one. in those cases where the surgeon thinks you might get away with just a crescent mastopexy, you probably should go with former since the scars fade nicely and it gives a much better lift.

good luck

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift?

With your hands in the air, the breasts are a bit distorted.  Often in patients with minimal droop, I can perform a breast augmentation and a circumareola lift and the result looks great.  But it depens upon yoru appearance. Good luck.