Will Breast Lift Make Lactating Problem Worse?

I would like to have a breast lift done, but apparently I am a freak of nature and get into an embarrassing situation at times and I'm not sure if the surgery would cause a problem. I had my last child 18 years ago but I still lactate sometimes. Would this cause any problems or heaven forbid get any worse if I decide to have this done?

Breast lifts and lactation

You bring up an interesting question, and the lactation problem may get better, worse, or remain the same. Most likely, however, it may improve depending on the type of lift that you get. If you get a Wise-pattern breast lift that involves many incisions in the breast tissue, the problem may improve because of the decreased milk flow to the nipple. Even though it's hard to say what will happen afterward, make sure you consider all of the risks before undertaking any sort of procedure to your breasts.

Increased milk production from breast lift

Occasional nipple discharge could be normal. However, hormonal imbalance (increased prolactin) and some medications could cause lactation. It is important to have this checked with your internist.

When it comes to breast lift, I think it could affect lactation, usually making it less and not more. A breast lift rearranges the breast tissues which could cut some of the milk ducts and cause fibrosis. There will always be some ducts left intact but it is something that no plastic surgeon can guarantee.

Hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Occassionally, I have seen increased lactation after breasat augmenattion, but not breast lift

Occassionally, I have seen increased lactation after breasat augmenattion, but not breast lift.  I have always felt that this was from aggressive massage stimulating lacataion, and it has always resolved over a period of months.

Lactation and Breast Surgery

Occasional lactation 18 years after finishing breast feeding is unusual. If it is just a small amount with manipulation that is likely normal and OK. If it is significant milk production you should see your internist or endocrinologist for an evaluation. There are some medications that could contribute or there may be a hormone imbalance or it may be just normal for you. If your evaluation doesn't find a cause your internist may discuss a medicine that may minimize milk production.

I would recommend deferring the breast lift until the lactation issue is resolved.

John E. Gross, MD

Breast Lift and Lactation

A breast lift is unlikely to affect the lactation issue that you have.  My question to you would be have you seen a physician regarding this issue?

If you have not seen someone, I would recommend you see an endocrinologist to evaluate why you are still lactating. 

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Lactation and breast lift.

Hi!

1)  First, make sure your breasts are entirely healthy.

2)  Breast lift does not affect lactation in any way.  Breast lift does not interfere if a woman wants to breast feed.  In your case, I don't think surgery will change your pattern of occasional lactation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Lactation of the breast

First, you should probably be evaluated by an endocrinologist, this doctor will probably want to check for hormonal causes first.  Then once this is done, you probably can go ahead with your surgery.

Milky breast discharge is not unusual

If you are having significant milk discharge it should be evaluated by you physician. If you have an occasional breast discharge with pinching or squeezing the nipple, this is not unusual. The more you squeeze and check for discharge the more you will stimulate production. Surgery can also stimulate the breast to produce milk and this is why you want to avoid surgery close to the time of breast feeding.

It sounds like you are having some significant milk production so I would recommend an evaluation by your physician for hormone levels to see if you have an abnormally high hormone that is causing the milk production.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and possible post op lactation

In 35 yrs. I have not seen it, even when I have encountered filled galactic ducts during the proccedure. Are you taking any  estrogen or progesterone?

There are medications that  can reduce lactation. Express your concerns with your surgeon and gynecologist.

Barry H. Dolich, MD (Retired)
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lifting and Lactation Problem?

I do not think that breast lifting should make the problem you are experiencing worse.  It may be in your best interest  to have the long-term lactation issues evaluated/treated ( If you haven't done so already) as much as possible prior to the breast lifting procedure.