Breast Lift or Breast Augmentation? (photo)

I consulted with a PS in regards to a breast augmentation he recommended 400cc placed under muscle.I know without a lift they will not be extremely perky but I would be looking for more fullness.Would I be able to obtain that with his recommendation?

Breast augmentation or breast lift?

Lookiing at your breasts, the answer is not either/or. Your breast are asymmetrical with the right breast larger and droopier than the lefr breast, but both breasts are sagging. Breast augmentation alone would only create more sagging with residual asymmetry. You beed a breast lift to lft the breasts and level the nipple areolas. In addtion you may want or need to insert implants. You should consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgon with extensive experience performing breast surgery, You  should look at his before and after photos of asymmetrical breasts. Good luck!

Breast augmentation vs. breast lift

Your posted photo shows asymmetric breasts (right larger than left), nipples well below the breast fold and almost all of your breast tissue lying below the level of the breast fold.

The optimal result requires the nipples to be in a specific position on the chest (higher than yours are), centering of the breast tissue under the nipples in that position and centering of the breast implant under all that. Therefore it is not logical to expect that this is achievable by simply putting a breast implant under the muscle in which case all of the implant will be above the fold away from your breast tissue.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

Breast Lift or Augmentation

With your breast shape, an augmentation alone will only give you larger sagging breasts. You just have too much ptosis or sag already and no implant will elevate your breast tissue. In my opinion, a breast lift with a smaller volume implant will give you a nice result.

Breast augmentation with or without lifting

Good morning!

Looking at your photos, I would strongly recommend against having a breast augmentation without a breast lift.  It appears that your nipple complex as well as significant amount of your breast tissue is below the fold of your breast.  Placing a breast implant without riaisign the soft tissue of your mound will not give you a very perky attractive result.

I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD, FACS

Breast Lift or Breast Augmentation?

Implants alone are very likely to yield an unfavorable outcome with the sense of your own breast tissue hanging off the implants.

While a lift alone may give you a perkier appearance, implants alone will likely not. If you goal is larger as well as perkier breasts, both a lift and augmentation should be considered. 

All the best. 

Breast lift or augmentation

Based on your picture, I would say that you need a breast lift plus/minus a breast augmentation if you want a perkier look to your breasts.  Breast implants ONLY add volume to the breast.  They will NOT lift the breast.  That is what a breast lift does.  The trade-off is that a breast lift will leave you with some scars on the breasts.  Although I agree with your doctor that the best placement of your implants is under the muscle, I would ONLY put them there if you do a breast lift in conjunction with your augmentation.  If you only do a breast augmentation and put the implants under the muscle, the muscle will hold the implants too high on your chest wall and your breasts will sit below them leaving you with an odd oblong look to your breasts.  You need to either do a subglandular breast augmentation so that the implants sit low with your breast tissue or a submuscular breast augmentation with a lift so that the breast tissue is centered over the implants.  Please keep in mind that my assessment is COMPLETELY based on the one picture that you submitted.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Breast Augmentation or Breast Lift

I think that you will be much happier with the shape and overall appearance of your breasts with a breast lift and augmentation.  Your nipples and areola (the dark part around your nipples) are low on your breast and a lift will put them in the right location and make your  breast more round and perky.  With an implant under the muscle and breast sagging, you can get a very un-natural look with the implant on your chest, and your breast looking like it is "falling" off the implant.  You must be okay with trading scars for shape and nipple position - but with the way that scars fade on the breast - I think it is well worth it.  That being said - you can always have an augmentation and a lift later on if you are unsure at this time.  Good luck!

Probably will need a breast lift so that the breasts look natural.

From the photograph it looks as though there is substantial ptosis of the breasts. Augmentation by itself can sometimes camouflage ptosis. I don't think that is the case here.

Augmentation vs Lift

I agree with the prior posts.  You would greatly benefit from a vertical mastopexy and instead of 400 cc, a smaller implant.  In the end, a better shaped breast far outweighs the drawbacks of scars.