Breast Implants - 400cc Too Big for Small D?

I recently had breast augmentation and asked the PS for small D full C. I am 5'2, 105lbs and I was given 400cc. I feel like this amount was too big too achieve this look as I started off with a 32C. I have many friends who are taller than me and wider than me and they were given the same amount or even less to go from an A cup to a D cup. I have not D&F yet but thinking in the end I am probably going to be more like a DD or E. Am I being anxious or am I calculating this whole cc's thing wrong?

Implant CC and cup size

It is very difficult to say whether or not a 400cc implant is too big for your frame without conducting a physical exam.  The appearance of a 400cc implant is highly dependent upon the patient's body frame, weight, height and amount of breast tissue that they currently have and it is important to note that a specific volume or cc will look very different on two patients, even on sisters of a similar body type!  Since it will take roughly 3-6 months to see where your implants settle out and for most of the post-operative swelling to dissipate, I would recommend waiting until you have reached this benchmark to make any final conclusions about size.  In the interim, I would also recommend following up with your operating surgeon to discuss your expectations and goals, as the surgeon might better put your mind at ease during this waiting game.  I hope this helps and best of luck!

Woodbury Plastic Surgeon

Cc's and cup size

Dear Miami4877,

It appears that you are very early in the post op period.  Please, keep in mind that there is swelling that needs to subside and the implants will drop over the next 3-4 months to give you a smaller more natural breasts and look.

400cc implants look different in different people. Considering that you started off a 32C, it is likely very difficult to impossible to keep you a C cup or even a small D. Based on your examination there is a certain volume which best fits your body. Given that you are 5'2" and 105, 400ccs seems a bit large, but I can not tell you for sure as pre-op measurements, photos and exam are all essential in determining the range of implants that would have best fit you. 

Cup size is a ratio of breast volume to chest circumference it is tough to estimate exact post-operative bra sizes. Another confounding factor is that there is no standardization of this ratio by bra manufacturers.
However, a loose rule of thumb is that it takes about 150-200cc to make a change in cup size in a 34 circumference chest. Therefore if you are already a 34C, adding 400 will likely increase you a bit more than 2 cup sizes, likely (but not for sure) making you a DD or even more depending of how full of an C you were to begin with. If you buy 36 size bras you will find that the cup size would be smaller, so you may be 36C or D. Keep in mind, this is a very rough estimate and the goal should be the look and not a bra size. 

My best advise is that you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon candidly. Best wishes. 

Luis H. Macias, MD, FACS

Too early to tell, be patient

You still have dressings and a "shiny" look which suggests that you are still very early. It takes at least 2 months for settling or "Dropping and Fluffing" to use a popular internet term amongst women in the BA community.

At 5'2" and 105 lbs you are quite petite and especially if you were already a C to start, you may well end up in the very full D or DD range. As to your ultimate satisfaction with your result, it would be best to give it more time.   

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Wait to drop and fluff

Bra size is an inaccurate way to measure breast size. Bra cups aren't standardized and so a D by one brand could actually be a C or E in another. It's very unreliable. Therefore, what your surgeon thought was a D, as you requested, could have been true to them. I would suggest you wait until you've actually dropped and fluffed first then consider whether you got the results you wanted.

Also, it's best not to ask what your friends have gotten because their body type is different from yours.

Ronald Levine, MD

Breast implant size

The look of 400cc implants depends on your frame, height, body weight, and amount of soft tissue. I would suggest waiting for your post-operative swelling to decrease and for your implants to drop before drawing any final conclusions about sizing. This can take up to six months. Be sure to have a dialogue with your surgeon about your goals and expectations. Best of luck.

Lara Devgan, MD, MPH

Implant size

It looks as if you are very early out. It is very hard to tell this early out what your breast size will be. You are very swollen and your implants are riding high. Once everything is settled and the swelling has subsided, then I would judge the size... the process can take up to 6 months.
As for the 400cc, everyone starts out with different breast size and shapes, so to compare with your other friends isn't a fair comparison.
My advise is to wait it out... for atleast 6 months, if you're still feeling like they're too big, then consult with your PS and see what your options are at that point.

Gregory C. Gaines, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

D Cup after breast implants

I avoid using cup size when discussing breast augmenbtation results with patients. I ude biodimensional planning to give them a rangle of sizes that will look natural and ideal for their body type. Before and after photos can be an excellent way to communicate what you are look for from surgery.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants & Petite Frame

It’s almost impossible to make decisions about breast size in the immediate post-operative period. However, it does seem that someone who is petite and already a C cup, might not need this much volume. With this said, many patients in your situation will ultimately be happy when their swelling disappears.

Patients undergoing breast augmentation can anticipate significant swelling in the immediate post-operative period. This swelling resolves quickly, with the vast majority being gone in about four to six weeks, but small amounts of residual swelling may be present for up to three to four months following surgery.

Compression bras and dressings are frequently used following breast augmentation to minimize swelling. Swelling can add to a patient’s post-operative discomfort. It can also be the source of anxiety regarding breast size in the immediate post-operative period.

It’s not unusual for patients to express concern about breast size following breast augmentation surgery. In some cases, swelling can be significant and make the breasts look much larger then they will ultimately end up. As swelling resolves, patients rapidly adjust to their new breast size and the majority are happy with their size.

For these reasons, we feel it’s important for the patient and the surgeon to have good communication regarding this topic immediately following surgery. In this situation, a little reassurance can go a long way towards making this a more comfortable experience. Be patient, it’s far too early to be concerned about revisional surgery. There’s a good chance, you will end up very happy with your breast size.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants

The exact same implant size can look very different on different women depending on frame, existing breast tissue and other factors. Keep in mind that breast implant size does not directly correlate to bra size; they are two completely different measurements.

I think it is too early to worry about final results, as you are still pretty early on in the healing process. You’re also still getting used to your new look. Most women are nervous that they went too big when they first see their results, but after the implants settle, in my experience most women usually love their results. It is important to give your results time to reveal themselves and remain patient.

David N. Sayah, MD, FACS

How To Choose The Perfect Implant Without Doubting Your Choice

I'm sorry you are experiencing this anxiety. If you read patient stories about their experience post-op, you’ll see similar stories to yours and things like:

“If you’re happy with the size immediately after the surgery, you may be unhappy when the implants drop, because they will be smaller.”

“At this stage in recovery, some patients feel regret and wish they went bigger.”

Behind these statements is an idea that a patient’s thoughts and feelings about their decision change as they recover, and that this is normal.

I believe this is an out-of-date way of thinking about breast augmentation. Sure, people may have alternating feelings about this big life decision, but regret should NEVER be a part of it.

On RealSelf, you see so many patients tormented with uncertainty about whether they chose the right implant size or shape; they are anxious all throughout the recovery process, waiting at least 3 months to see the final result. This is a very unpleasant experience no patient should go through.

A patient needs to be educated the right way, they need to have all the right expectations set up front. When this is done right, you should be happy about your breast augmentation and implant choice, from beginning to end. It’s what I expect from all my patients, that they come out of surgery happy, and they stay happy.

I hope that answers your question on implant size. It’s great that you’re doing this research. I always say that the best patients are informed patients.

You might also want to research your options for breast implants if you ever decide to replace them. Choosing the right implant is the number one concern among women considering breast augmentation. Did you know, there’s actually a way to select a implant shape, size, and profile that is perfect for you?

A term that I use with my patients for the perfect implant is the “Pony Implant”.

So what do I mean by “perfect”? Well, a Pony Implant has three qualities to it. First, the implant meets your beauty goals. For example, you want to your breasts to look fuller while still appearing natural.

Second, when you chose your Pony Implant, you walk out of your consultation 100% confident that you’ve chosen the right shape and size for you. In other words, you won’t be second guessing your decision, and you won’t be afraid of having gone too big or too small.

And third, after your procedure, you are thrilled with your results, and say, "I’m so happy. This is exactly what I wanted!"

That’s the Pony Implant. And the great news is that there is a simple process to go about finding yours.

This issue of selecting the right implant is so important when it comes to patient satisfaction or dissatisfaction that, again, I really encourage you to learn more about it.

Thank you for reading and best of luck on your journey!

William Rahal, MD
Beverly Hills Physician