Breast Implants - 400cc Too Big for Small D?

I recently had breast augmentation and asked the PS for small D full C. I am 5'2, 105lbs and I was given 400cc. I feel like this amount was too big too achieve this look as I started off with a 32C. I have many friends who are taller than me and wider than me and they were given the same amount or even less to go from an A cup to a D cup. I have not D&F yet but thinking in the end I am probably going to be more like a DD or E. Am I being anxious or am I calculating this whole cc's thing wrong?

Wait to drop and fluff

Bra size is an inaccurate way to measure breast size. Bra cups aren't standardized and so a D by one brand could actually be a C or E in another. It's very unreliable. Therefore, what your surgeon thought was a D, as you requested, could have been true to them. I would suggest you wait until you've actually dropped and fluffed first then consider whether you got the results you wanted.

Also, it's best not to ask what your friends have gotten because their body type is different from yours.

Implant CC and cup size

It is very difficult to say whether or not a 400cc implant is too big for your frame without conducting a physical exam.  The appearance of a 400cc implant is highly dependent upon the patient's body frame, weight, height and amount of breast tissue that they currently have and it is important to note that a specific volume or cc will look very different on two patients, even on sisters of a similar body type!  Since it will take roughly 3-6 months to see where your implants settle out and for most of the post-operative swelling to dissipate, I would recommend waiting until you have reached this benchmark to make any final conclusions about size.  In the interim, I would also recommend following up with your operating surgeon to discuss your expectations and goals, as the surgeon might better put your mind at ease during this waiting game.  I hope this helps and best of luck!

Cc's and cup size

Dear Miami4877,

It appears that you are very early in the post op period.  Please, keep in mind that there is swelling that needs to subside and the implants will drop over the next 3-4 months to give you a smaller more natural breasts and look.

400cc implants look different in different people. Considering that you started off a 32C, it is likely very difficult to impossible to keep you a C cup or even a small D. Based on your examination there is a certain volume which best fits your body. Given that you are 5'2" and 105, 400ccs seems a bit large, but I can not tell you for sure as pre-op measurements, photos and exam are all essential in determining the range of implants that would have best fit you. 

Cup size is a ratio of breast volume to chest circumference it is tough to estimate exact post-operative bra sizes. Another confounding factor is that there is no standardization of this ratio by bra manufacturers.
However, a loose rule of thumb is that it takes about 150-200cc to make a change in cup size in a 34 circumference chest. Therefore if you are already a 34C, adding 400 will likely increase you a bit more than 2 cup sizes, likely (but not for sure) making you a DD or even more depending of how full of an C you were to begin with. If you buy 36 size bras you will find that the cup size would be smaller, so you may be 36C or D. Keep in mind, this is a very rough estimate and the goal should be the look and not a bra size. 

My best advise is that you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon candidly. Best wishes. 

Too early to tell, be patient

You still have dressings and a "shiny" look which suggests that you are still very early. It takes at least 2 months for settling or "Dropping and Fluffing" to use a popular internet term amongst women in the BA community.

At 5'2" and 105 lbs you are quite petite and especially if you were already a C to start, you may well end up in the very full D or DD range. As to your ultimate satisfaction with your result, it would be best to give it more time.   

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size

The look of 400cc implants depends on your frame, height, body weight, and amount of soft tissue. I would suggest waiting for your post-operative swelling to decrease and for your implants to drop before drawing any final conclusions about sizing. This can take up to six months. Be sure to have a dialogue with your surgeon about your goals and expectations. Best of luck.

Lara Devgan, MD, MPH

D Cup after breast implants

I avoid using cup size when discussing breast augmenbtation results with patients. I ude biodimensional planning to give them a rangle of sizes that will look natural and ideal for their body type. Before and after photos can be an excellent way to communicate what you are look for from surgery.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

400 cc implants will look differently on different people.  It is hard to say what the final size will be until the swelling comes down.  If you ultimately are unhappy with the volume, you should discuss it with yoru surgeon.

No surprises please!

Hello Miami4877, Every surgeon uses a different angle when working with patients to determine what size implants will give them the outcome they want. I am a fan of The Rice Test and "Wish For" photos from patients. These tell me exactly how much volume they are comfortable with and what they're picturing for themselves. I have no idea what was the method your surgeon used or what took place, but I can say it is too early to tell what your final outcome will be. Be patient and let your breasts heal and change to their final shape over the next few months. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Please don't be hard on yourself about your "calculating". Relating and utilizing the implant diameter, projection and size to the relation of a patient’s body measurements and current breast volume are part of the process for an experienced surgeon. Patients are never expected to make a determination on this detail at my practice. When you say you agreed on something as ambiguous as a "small D/full C", this can't be. This is arbitrary and not accurate when determining implant size. What is important is how much actual volume makes you happy. What I fear here is that you asked for what you got, but what you got was not what you were expecting in your head. I would recommend meeting with the doctor at your next follow up and voicing your concerns. 

Lastly, don't ever base your comparison on how it looks on a friend. Even though you and your friend may seem similar in terms of body size, there are other factors that must be considered. It’s natural to think “My girlfriend has 400 cc’s so I should get the same size because they look perfect on her.” But the important words are “…on her.”

William Aiello, MD

Choosing the Best Implant Size

The lettered cup system is not exact and varies among bra brands.  To achieve your goal breast size, the surgeon must gauge your starting size, the amount of breast tissue present, the amount of anticipated breast expansion, your breast dimensions, and your specific goals to name some.  During the preoperative evaluation, you and the surgeon go over different size implants and determine what is the best approximate size for you.  Different size implants are available during the operation and the one chosen is based on intraoperative sizing.  Temporary sizers are placed and filled to different volumes to see what is the best size. Once this is determined, the temporary sizer is removed and the permanent implant is placed.  So, choosing the correct implant is part science, part art, and part experience.  

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Wait for at least 6 months for an accurate evaluation.

You’re in the initial recovery stage of your breast augmentation. Your breasts are swollen and have yet to drop into position. It can take up to 6 months for postoperative swelling to subside and for your implants to settle into place, so it’s important to wait to evaluate if you’re satisfied with your final breast size. It’s not uncommon to feel a little anxious immediately following breast augmentation, as you’ve likely anticipated this procedure for awhile and are eager for the final results to reveal themselves. As far as comparing your procedure with your friends, each person is different. Height, frame, body weight and available breast tissue are all factors that affect final size. Be patient with your healing process and follow-up with your surgeon if you have any questions or concerns.