I Have Never Had Breast Implants but It Looks Like I Have Symmastia. How Can I Fix It?

I am 18 years old and for as long as I can remember my breasts have come together in sort of a "uniboob" way. I was looking up simmaliar issues on the Internet and I found symmastia. If I understand it right it's when the implant moves. I have never had a breast implant or anything done to my breasts. They are all natural, but it looks like I have symmastia. Is there a way to fix this without surgery? And if surgery is needed about how much will it cost?

Doctor Answers 3

Congenital Symmastia?

Thank you for the question.
Unfortunately, without direct examination or viewing pictures it is difficult to give you precise advice.  I have found that treatment of congenital symmastia can be challenging. Sometimes patients with “congenital” symmastia  benefit from liposuction surgery of the area between the breasts ( over the sternum);  whether or not you are a candidate for this procedure will depend on your physical examination. There is no “nonsurgical" modality to improve the situation.
You may find in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons to be helpful to you.
Best wishes.

San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,487 reviews

Congenital Symmastia Solution


Thank you for the question. There is a good solution for congenital symmastia. I use a small incision in the breast fold to repair and separate the breasts to allow a normal amount of cleavage. Other plastic surgeons advocate implants and /or liposuction but I have found the suturing the tissue works the best in my hands. The link below shows before and after photos of a patient that underwent congenital symmastia repair by this method.

All the best,

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 162 reviews

Treatment of Symmastia

Hello. Without any pictures it is difficult to tell whether or not you have symmastia. If, in fact, you do have symmastia it can be corrected using liposuction techinques. You should schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who will be able to give you a precise diagnosis. 

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD
Tampa Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.