Breast Implants or Lift for More Youthful Look?

Iam considering having breast implants or a breast lift. I am 53 years old; small-framed with 36C breast size; weighing at 130 lbs. My breasts have lowered thru the years and I want a more youth look. I am not opposed to going a bit larger. Which is the best way to go?

Augmentation mastopexy: combined lift and breast implant procedures

You may benefit from both. A lift alone will reposition the breast gland, remove excess skin, and rotate the nipple to a more youthful position. However, it will not be capable of acheiveing upp breast fullness. This can typcially be achieved with a implant. Therefore the two are considered mutually beneficial.

Breast Implants Or Lift For More Youthful Look?

Thank you for your question! As long as you are in good health there should be no risks of you having breast implants.  I advise you to find a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your desired results.  Best of luck!Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board CertifiedPlastic SurgeonChicago Hoffman EstatesOak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

The choice will really be between a breast lift or and augmentation with a lift. If you breast have sagged then skin will need to be removed with or without an implant.

David L. Abramson, MD

Lift and/or augmentation

If you  need a lift, you need a lift.  Implants can help give more volume but will not raise the breasts significantly.

Breast lift or aug

It sounds as though you should have a breast lift for sure.  Your board - certified plastic surgeon can help you determine if you would also need/want a breast augmentation.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

A combination Breast Lift and Implant has a better result

Obviously, the exam and evaluation by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will get you the best answer. In general, a Lift combined with an augmentation will provide the best shape and long term results for Breast Surgery of the drooping and volume changed breast. The implant is placed behind the muscle and the lift redrapes the skin and breast tissue over that implant. A lift alone will provide improvement, but the lack of elasticity of the skin will allow droop sooner over time. The scarring is the same with each procedure, so the implant does have advantages.

Good Luck!

David A. Dreyfuss, MD
Orland Park Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift maybe with implants

It really depends. Without seeing you I would lean toward a lift without implants, but much of this is decided with a patient during consultation depending upon her examination and her preferences.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Not either or situation

What needs to be evaluated is the relationship of the breast to the chest wall, and mostly, the position of the nipple to the crease where the underwire (inframammary fold). If the nipple falls below this point, you will likely need a lift, with or without implants.

You need to be examined to get the best answers for you.

Youthful looking breasts.

1) Without examining you, I would recommend a well performed breast lift without implants. With a C cup, you have enough volume, and breasts that are not too big age much better.

2) You probably need a lollipop scar. To get long term perky shape, you need an INTERNAL breast lift that does not rely on pulling the skin. Skin stretches, so one must not depend on skin tension for shape.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Augmentation and Lift

With “lowered breasts” you generally need a Lift, or Mastopexy. To be “a bit larger” requires an Augmentation. Since the droop is secondary to the skin being larger than the amount of breast tissue you have, you can occasionally accomplish both goals with just the augmentation, if the size of the enlargement fills the skin envelope. Most frequently, however, the implant will not take up all the slack and you will need both. You can generally get an idea by examining yourself. If your nipples (in the center of the areolae) are at or below the inframammary crease (where the breast meets the chest) when standing, you will usually need a Lift also. The only way to tell for sure is with an examination by a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon