Does Breast Implants Increase the Chances of Stretch Marks During Pregnancy?

Breast implants and pregnancy

While there is not an easy and clear answer to your question, stretching through quick changes in size do contribute to the complex pathophysiology of stretch marks.  Having more volume pushing against your skin envelope and breast tissue can certainly contribute to tissue thinnin, deflation and skin stretching.  Although again there is no strong evidence to support this but this is one of the many reasons I prefer complete subfascial placement of implants.  It makes sence that having a strong structural barrier between the implant and the breast tissue would offer some protection to the negative changes during pregnancy.  In reality most of the changes depend on your genetics and response to pregnancy but I believe that this is one of many situations where subfascial may show benefit.  I hope this helps!

All ths best,

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Pregnancy and Breast implants

In my experience the younger you are , the larger your breast implants  , and the greater the engorgement
-the greater risk of stretch marks .
Most women over 28 with breast implants  do not get stria or stretch marks with pregnancy .
Regards 
Dr Shamoun 

John Milam Shamoun, MD FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Stretch Marks and Implants and Pregnancy

Stretch Marks usually do not occur with breast augmentation by itself but is frequent after pregnancy. I don't think most implants unless unusually large will influence whether these will occur.

Stretchmarks and Breast Implants

Stretchmarks may develop with larger implants, but if you don't have a tendency to develop them, then you may be okay. It's really genetic disposition and weight fluctuations that are big factors.

Breast implants can increase the chance of breast stretch marks during pregancy

Stretch marks are tears in the dermis (the deeper part of the skin).  This occurs because of a rapid increase in stretching forced secondary to weight or volume increase.  Whether you will get stretcg marks depends on your genetics, how much and how fast your breast volume increases, and how big your implants are.  You may elect to have your implants removed under local anesthesia once you learn that you are pregnant and this can help reduce the chance of stretch marks developing.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Stretch marks with implants and pregnancy

Usually stretch marks are more related to homonal changes.  I have seen them occur after breast augmentation alone in a young patient.   To my knowledge there are no studies looking at the incidence of stretch marks with implants during pregnancy.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Stretch Marks on Breast During Pregnancy

Stretch Marks are more related to hormones than presence of an implant. It is unlikely that the presence of an implant will increase the stretch marks that your pregnancy brings on.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Stretch Marks durng pregnancy after BA

Developing stretch marks on your breasts with pregnancy is due more to how much your breasts change in size, over what period of time and your genetics.  Your chances of developing stretch marks are the same as if you didn't have implants, but I don't think anyone has speicifically studied it.  Stretch marks as a results of having a BA I have seen primarily in young woman (22 or younger) who get larger implants. 

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Breast implants and stretch marks

Breast implants in and of themselves do not cause stretch marks, and certainly pregnancy with implants may or may not leave stretch marks. It is difficult to predict.

Stretch marks, breast augmentation, and pregnancy?

Having had breast implants does not increase the risk of developing stretch marks after pregnancy.  The development of stretch marks is most likely related to weight gain//loss, genetics, and hormones.  However, some women will develop stretch marks after a breast augmentation without pregnancy -- this may be related to hormones, genetics, and a drastic change in breast size.  Unfortunately, it is difficult to predict who will get stretch marks; and once you have stretch marks, there are no miracle cures.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon