Breast Feeding with Breast Implants - Possible? What Are the Risks?

After years of trying, my husband and I just found out that we are about to have our first child.  I am ecstatic, but I am very worried that the breast augmentation I had about 7 years ago will interfere with my ability to breast feed.  And even if I can breast feed my baby, would I be putting him or her at risk by doing so?  Can anyone shed some light on this subject?  I would really appreciate it.

Breast implants and breast feeding [With Video]

On average, there's roughly a 90% chance that you will be able to breastfeed after having breast implants, on the assumption that you were able to breastfeed before the surgery. Normally the breast implant is inserted under the muscle (occasionally it is placed above the muscle as well) but doing so should not effect the direct relationship between the breast glands/ducts and the nipple.

Breast feeding after breast augmentation

Congratulations on the upcoming baby! It's normal to be anxious about the breast augmentation in this regard but rest assured that it has been studied repeatedly without having found any negative association. Regardless of the technique of placement (inframammary -fold, transaxillary - armpit, or periareolar - nipple) the tissues that are operated on have nothing to do with the ducts where the milk travels through and your breast tissue is still there. This does NOT mean that you ARE going to be able to breast feed. It simply means that if you were programmed to be able to breast feed, studies have shown that breast implants do not change your capacity to do so.

Congratulations again on your baby,

DoctorMeade

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Most Patients Are Still Able To Breast Feed After Augmentation

Your question is a common one and a big concern for clients interested in breast augmentation who also plan on having children. Although a very small subset of patients have difficulty breastfeeding following this procedure, most do not.

To lower the risks of interfering with breastfeeding, the general recommendation is to avoid the periareolar incision (because of the risk for interfering with nipple sensation) and to place the implant under the muscle.

And to make you feel better, breast implants should pose no risk to your breastfeeding infant.

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast is still the best

Congratulations on your pregnancy! There are so many documented advantages to breastfeeding your child (for both mom and baby) that I always suggest women try it.

Most women with implants are able to breastfeed because the implants cause very minimal disruption of the breast gland itself. Even if the implants are sitting submammary, the dissection usually doesn't disconnect the gland from the nipple.

You can expect the usual amount of breast expansion/engorgement with breastfeeding and the usual amount of breast deflation and droop that most women experience after finishing breastfeeding. This means you may need a revision surgery in the future in the same way that many women request augmentation or mastopexy after pregnancy.

There are no documented risks to babies - a study was even completed on women with silicone implants and there was no evidence of increased silicone in the breast milk.

Breastfeeding is difficult for many women - even those who have never had surgery on their breasts. Stick with it and get some support - try contacting your local La Leche League or attending breastfeeding classes or support groups. Breastfeeding is well worth it.

Kim Meathrel, MD
Ontario Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeed Worry-Free

Naturally, not every woman can breastfeed. For those who can, breast implants pose no problem

Studies that have shown that breastfeeding with implants poses no risk to your child. You can breastfeed with implants.

I hope that answers your question on breastfeeding. It’s great that you’re doing this research. I always say that the best patients are informed patients.

You might also want to research your options for breast implants. Choosing the right implant is the number one concern among women considering breast augmentation. Did you know, there’s actually a way to select a implant shape, size, and profile that is perfect for you?

A term that I use with my patients for the perfect implant is the “Pony Implant”.

So what do I mean by “perfect”? Well, a Pony Implant has three qualities to it. First, the implant meets your beauty goals. For example, you want to your breasts to look fuller while still appearing natural.

Second, when you chose your Pony Implant, you walk out of your consultation 100% confident that you’ve chosen the right shape and size for you. In other words, you won’t be second guessing your decision, and you won’t be afraid of having gone too big or too small.

And third, after your procedure, you are thrilled with your results, and say, "I’m so happy. This is exactly what I wanted!"

That’s the Pony Implant. And the great news is that there is a simple process to go about finding yours.

This issue of selecting the right implant is so important when it comes to patient satisfaction or dissatisfaction that, again, I really encourage you to learn more about it.

Thank you for reading and best of luck on your journey!

William Rahal, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Hello and congratulations on the upcoming arrival of your baby. An expertly performed Breast Augmentation should never affect future breast feeding.  Despite common opinion, and extremely small amount of breast tissue is actually cut therefore the milk ducts are not violated and work normally after the procedure.  Even if the access incision is through the lower areola, breast feeding success is only dependent on the patient's preexisting ability to breast feed.

Gregory DeLange, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeeding following Breast Augmentation

To understand breastfeeding, it helps to understand the breast. From the nipple spread multiple ducts that extend into the substance of the breast. Each duct ends at a region of milk producing glands. Hormones (of various types) initiate milk production and suckling helps move the process along. When a plastic surgeon performs a breast augmentation, they place the inert implant either beneath the milk producing tissues or deep to the pectoralis muscle. In either case, we aren't removing or seriously damaging the glands. Some studies have suggested that some breast tissue can be squeezed by the implant and subsequent swelling and this may later limit milk production. Though no one will say this can't happen, the incidence of women who can not breast feed is roughly the same whether they have implants or not.

A valid question is whether the incision site can effect breastfeeding. The answer is possibly. Depending on the details of the surgical procedure, some ducts can be so damaged that they don't function following periareolar incisions. So in cases of women who really want to maximize their chance of breast feeding, I would avoid the periareolar incision. 

But if you already have implants and plan to breast feed, there is little risk at all of doing harm to your child. In the past, some suggested that silicone gel could travel down the ducts and get into the child. That was based on a type of silicone gel that is no longer used and hasn't been used in decades. I wish you the best of luck.

Peter D. Geldner, MD

Breast-Feeding after Implants

Thank you for your question.  Your question is actually a very common one and a common concern for patients thinking about undergoing a breast augmentation procedure.  It is a difficult question to answer, however, because unless you have already successfully breast-fed a child, it is impossible to say whether or not breast-feeding would have ever been in the cards for you.  Some women, without any breast surgery, are simply not able to breast-feed.  

With that said, breast implants should not interfere with your ability to breast feed, especially if placed in the sub-pectoral pocket (below the chest muscle) and through an infra-mammary or breast crease incision.  Avoiding the nipple-areolar complex and a peri-areolar incision is important because it lowers your risk for disrupting nipple sensation and the underlying breast tissue and ductal glands.  Furthermore, breast implants should not pose any risk to a breast-feeding baby but if you are concerned I would strongly recommend following up with your operating surgeon.  Best of luck!  

Stephen T. Greenberg, MD
Woodbury Plastic Surgeon

Breast Feeding After Breast Augmentation

Hello and thank you for this question!  

When performed by a skilled and experienced board certified plastic surgeon, breast augmentation surgery should not interfere with the milk ducts or glands in the breast. Regardless of breast implant placement and/or incision location, most women who become new mothers after surgery should be able to breastfeed safely and effectively, assuming their bodies were capable of lactating prior to surgery.  To read more about this topic please click on the link below.

Jon Paul Trevisani, MD, FACS
Maitland Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeeding with Breast Implants

Breast feeding should be possible after breast augmentation.  If this is a major concern before surgery I would suggest using an inflammatory crease incision or transaxillary incision and having the implant placed behind the chest muscle.

John L. Burns Jr., MD