Deflated Breast Implant by McGhan- Fibrocystic Breast Disease

I am 60 years old and want to understand the best options available near Gainesville, Florida. I am lopsided and self conscious, but no pain.  I had(have) fibrocystic disease of the breast. Rx was to remove cysts, one the size of a grapefruit and put in implants. I did not choose huge implants, and have never had problems until now. My sister's fibrocystic disease went into breast cancer; she passed away. Thank you.

Doctor Answers 8

Ruptured implants and asymmetry with family history of breast cancer

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In the 1980's it was thought that fibrocystic disease was pre-malignant.  We now know that it is not.  IF there is a strong family history of breast cancer consider being tested for the BRACA gene.  You may want to remove the implant and reduce the size of the larger breast. 

Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

One sided breast implant has deflated at 60 years of age.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

At this point, I would probably advise removing the breast implant and then reducing the size of the larger breast and removing the need for implant removal or replacement at a later date.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

Implant problem

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If your implant has deflated, the best option would be to replace it.  If you know the size and type of implant you have in, it would make it easier to size up.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

You might also like...

Your best option is to replace the deflated implant as well as the intact implant.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have three possible options in dealing with the deflation. The first is to do nothing since there is no harm in indefinitely retaining a collapsed implant. This option probably is not for you since you are unhappy with the present asymmetry. Secondly, you could remove both the deflated and the intact implant but that will return your breast to their size and shape following the cyst removal. Finally, you can replace the deflated implant and although not necessary I would advise you to also replace the intact implant as well. Depending on the Implant manufacturer and the age of your implants you may be entitled to some compensation based on the warranty in effect. Your surgeon will be able to determine your warranty details.It is very likely at least that the manufacturer will provide the replacement implants free of charge.

David A. Ross, MD (retired)
Chicago Plastic Surgeon

right breast implant has deflated

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Immediately seek opinions from boarded plastic surgeons in your area. This needs to be done within 3 months of deflation due to the edges of the implant can erode through your tissue. JUST DO IT! From MIAMI DR. B

Implant Deflation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your options are to completely remove both implants or replace the deflated implant.  Depending how long ago they were put in, and if you still have your implant information you may be able to have some money forwarded to your surgery.  You may also get a free implant for the surgery as well.

If you are interested in having the surgery redone and implants placed again, I would recommend getting a hold of your implant information and taking it with you when you go see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 88 reviews

Breast implant deflation should be covered by warranty.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Deflation of a saline breast implant is a harmless if inconvenient event. Depending on when your implants were put in, it should be covered under a replacement policy. If your original surgeon is not available then contact any board-certified plastic surgeon in your area and they will be able to advise you on how to get it taken care of.

Richard Baxter, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 59 reviews

Breast Implant exchange

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

ALL breast implants eventually fail and leak. With saline breast implant the salt water is taken up by the body and the breast deflates - as happened in your case. This is not a surgical emergency which needs to be acted upon immediately.

You can decide to
- have both breast implants removed
- have both breast implants exchanged with NEW implants - either same size or slightly larger and either stay with saline or go with silicone gel implants. Allergan which purchased McGhan years ago will give you free Natrelle (the newest version of McGhan) saline implants but you will have to pay for the cost of surgery otherwise.

This is a personal choice and you should consult one or more Plastic surgeons to see which one is for you.

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.