I Had Breast Implant Last 2006. But, Can't Remember if It Was Silicone or Gel. Does Leaking Breast Implant Lead to Back Pain?

Failure of breast implants does not cause back pain.

Failure of other a saline or silicone gel implant does not cause back pain. Silicone gel is contained by the capsule while the saline is absorbed and eliminated by the body.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Does leaking breast implants lead to back pain?

Thank you for your question. A leaking breast implant does not generally cause back pain, however, everyone experiences symptoms differently. If your breast implants were saline, then there would be an immediate response to the rupture and you can visually see the resulting asymmetry. If your breast implants are silicone this is a little harder to determine and usually a MRI is required for positive diagnosis. Upon implantation, you are provided with an identification card for each implant that will contain reference numbers, serial numbers, and the manufacturer. If you did not retain this card for your records, your plastic surgeon should still have on file the pertinent in formation that you would need. I generally ask that all breast augmentation patients follow up annually with my office just on a routine basis. I hope this helps you and good luck. Fadi Chahin MD, FACS, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Diplomat-American Board of Surgery, Diplomat-American Board of Plastic Surgery

Fadi Chahin, MD, FACS

Fadi Chahin, MD, FACS

Does Leaking Breast Implant Lead to Back Pain?

No, leakage of breast implants do not necessarily lead to back pain. At some point, it will be in your best interests to determine whether you have silicone gel or saline breast implants in place.  This information can be located on your breast implant identification card and/or by contacting your plastic surgeon. In the event of saline breast implant leakage, the  event should be quite obvious as the breast changes in size/shape etc. Leakage of silicone gel breast implants may not be detectable clinically; MRI study may be necessary to rule out leakage.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.