Can You Breast Feed with Implants?

The biggest concern I would have with implants is nursing because I'd like to have children in the future. I never heard you couldn't, but I didn't know if it would make it impossible or not.

Breast Feeding and Breast Implants

Thank you for your question.  This is one of the most common questions that I am asked by young patients looking to undergo a breast augmentation procedure.  The good news is, the majority of patients who elect to have a breast augmentation prior to having children are still able to breast feed.  With that said, it is important to note that not every woman has the ability to breast feed and unless you have already successfully breast fed a child, it is impossible to know if you fall into this category.  I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a skilled and experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your cosmetic surgery goals and your breast-feeding concerns. 

Several Considerations- Breastfeeding Can Be Impacted

It’s not unusual for patients who have undergone breast augmentation to become pregnant.When this happens, they’re always concerned about their ability to breastfeed their newborn child.The vast majority of breast augmentation patients are able to breast feed, but there are several important considerations in this group.

It’s important to realize that not every woman has the potential to breast feed and that some procedures can adversely impact the ability to breast feed.When periareolar incisions are performed, the ductal system has the potential to be impaired.Breast reduction and lift procedures can significantly disrupt the ductal system as well.Despite these exceptions, the majority of patients have no difficulty breast feeding.

It’s important to realize that there’s no scientific data to suggest that breast feeding in the presence of breast implants harms a newborn child.For this reason, breast implants don’t represent a contraindication to breast feeding.

Breast aesthetics can be adversely impacted by breast feeding.In many cases, patients lose breast volume and develop breast sag.These changes can occur with or without breast implants and may eventually require revisional surgery.

Despite these changes, the vast majority of women find breast feeding to be a gratifying experience that helps the developing relationship between mother and child.

You can breast feed with implants.

When you get a breast augmentation, there are three types of incisions you can choose from. Women who hope to breastfeed in the future should avoid the periareolar incision, which is made around the nipple and can disturb the milk ducts. This leaves the transaxillary or inframammary incision as options, the latter of which is much more popular. Implants themselves won’t interfere with the ability to breastfeed. Many women with implants go on to breastfeed their babies. Something to consider is that even without implants, not all women are able to breastfeed. Choose a board-certified plastic surgeon to ensure optimal results.

Breast feeding after augmentation.

Breast feeding after augmentation surgery typically is not a problem if the correct approach is used.  I suggest you consult with a Board Certified plastic surgeon and let them know that you would like to breast feed in the future. 

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeeding after having Breast Implant Surgery

This is a great question!
Many young women seeking breast augmentation become concerned about how the procedure could potentially affect their future - if they have children later on, will having breast implants prevent them from being able to breastfeed their newborn? Although this is a common concern, the truth is that if your body was able to produce milk prior to breast augmentation surgery, you should still be capable to do so afterward. A small percentage of all women are simply unable to produce a sufficient amount of milk for a baby, so if a patient has never attempted to breastfeed prior to surgery, it is unknown whether or not she will be able to lactate after breast augmentation.

When performed by a skilled and experienced board certified plastic surgeon, breast augmentation surgery should not interfere with the milk ducts or glands in the breast. Regardless of breast implant placement and/or incision location, most women who become new mothers after surgery should be able to breastfeed safely and effectively, assuming their bodies were capable of lactating prior to surgery.

Hope this helps.

Jon Paul Trevisani, MD, FACS
Maitland Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy, breast feeding and implants are all compatible. Proceed with confidence.

This is a very frequently asked question. Thank you! I see many young women who want to have breast augmentation surgery now and  "enjoy it while they're young," they tell me. Yet, they plan to be mothers one day and are concerned that breast implant surgery may interfere with pregnancy and/or breast feeding in the future.

Breast implant surgery does not get in the way of pregnancy or breast feeding. If this is your biggest concern regarding implant surgery, prepare to move forward.

I would advise that you opt for submuscular implant placement with inframammary incision. Nipple and breast glands and ducts are not directly impacted with this surgical approach. You should also know that your breasts will change over time, even after implant surgery. Hence, pregnancy, nursing, weight fluctuations and the weight of gravity over time are all factors. 

Good luck to you. 

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast Feeding With Implants

One can breastfeed after implants. There is no scientific data that prevents one from breastfeeding with implants. It is safe to breastfeed after silicone and saline implants.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Can you breastfeed with implants?

Thanks for your question. A lot of women approach me with the same concern prior to their breast augmentation surgery. Common questions are:“Will there be enough milk for the newborn?” or ”Is it safe for the newborn to feed from breasts with implants?”

Let me assure you, breastfeeding is absolutely possible following breast implants.
Women can breast feed following a breast augmentation granted they were able to do so prior to the procedure. In general, it is hard to predict who will be able to breast feed successfully even without implants. But the implants themselves should not eliminate your possibility.

Can You Breast Feed with Implants?

Thank you for the questions.
  Most patients are able to breast-feed after breast augmentation.  When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons to more specifically discuss your concerns, placement of incisions, timing of surgery… 
I hope this,  and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes.

Breast Feeding after augmentation

Thank you for your question. This is a concern that many women considering augmentation share. Implants typically do not interfere with breast feeding. Most women are able to breast feed after breast augmentation with no difficulty. However, this is based on the assumption that you would have been able to breast feed prior to implants. Breast feeding with implants should pose no threat to the health of your infant.

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD