Breast Discomfort 2 Years After Breast Implants. What Could This Be?

I had breast implants 2 years ago, cohesive gel 325cc above muscle. In the last couple of months I have notice a burning discomfort that comes and goes to my left breast. It feels almost like 2 objects (balloons) rubbing together or very mild vibration when I move that side of my chest (when flexing the muscle or moving the left arm). I have no tenderness or lumps on palpation. Sometimes I get mild pain in my shoulder and left arm.

Doctor Answers 5

Breast implants should not hurt two years after surgery.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your breast pain may be unrelated to the presence of the implants. Schedule an appointment with your plastic surgeon to have your implants and your breast tissue checked.

Pains 2 years after augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

is very unusual.  You should see your surgeon for an evaluation or another local plastic surgeon who can examine you and take your history.

Curtis Wong, MD
Redding Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Remote breast pain after breast augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your description of your symptoms is unusual. It is conceivable that you are having pain associated with a capsular contracture, but I would expect a visible difference between your implants and not just pain. The best advice is to have a breast exam with your surgeon who might consider obtaining an MRI if there is a concern for an implant rupture. 

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 90 reviews

Breast discomfort 2 years after augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I understand your concerns. I recommend that you return to your Plastic surgeon, or another, in order to get a good exam and the best advise. Sometimes pain like you are describing can be the result of a ruptured implant. Usually it is nothing. An MRI might be helpful. Don't panic.

Breast Discomfort 2 Years After Breast Implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is unlikely that your breast implants are causing you pain, unless you have developed scar contractures.  See your Plastic Surgeon as soon as possible for an exam, and to discuss these concerns. He may send you for a mammogram, also.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 61 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.