Breast Diameter - Breast Implant Size

I am planning my breast augmentation for a few months time from now. I have been researching every aspect of this procedure. I have chosen to use Mentor textured Silicone implants. Measurements are: Height - 5'6 Weight - 125lbs Chest - 30in Breast Diameters: L 19cm R 20cm My base breast width seems quite a bit larger than the largest mentor implant size. (My current bra size is a 34B). How is this factored in/worked out?

Planning Breast Augmentation

Becoming an educated patient is a great thing to do.  Please do not make the mistake of believing you know enough to plan your procedure.  Base width of the implant depends on chest and breast width of course, but also skin thickness, skin elasticity, amount of parenchyma present pre-operatively, your desired end size, angulation of ribs, position on the breasts of the nipple areola complex, degree of ptosis present, and other factors.

This is why it takes years after college and medical school to become a plastic surgeon, and years to become board certified.  You cannot learn enough on the internet to do this.

Breast implant sizing

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photo. Size of the implants can be very personal choices that a patient makes. In many cases, patients can go from a A cup to a D cup or larger. In our practice, I begin by asking whether you are looking for more projection or perkiness and whether you mind have some of the breast tissue push outwards on the side. In addition, I ask you to try on different external sizers to give you a sense of what your breast may look like and the feel of extra volume in the breasts. In addition, I take details measurements of the breast including the base diameter of the breast.  Your volume range and the breast shape preferences helps me the further guide you in your implant selection and to give you guidance on what the breast might look. 
I would visit with some board certified plastic surgeons in your area to discuss your options and goals in more detail.

20 cm Base Diameter? No Way!

I am quite certain your measurements are off, based on your size and pictures.  

Your base diameter is smaller than that, probably 13-15cm. 

Nonetheless, it is not the only number needed. 

Base width, breast height, desired projection and desired cup size, are all factors your experienced plastic surgeon needs to help you determine which size and shape implants will work (and won't work) for you. Seek someone with the experience who can listen to your needs and plan with you to get you the size and shape that you really want. 

Proper Implant Selection

Generally speaking,larger implants increase the risk of complications such as implant malposition, which can be very difficult to correct longterm.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Sizing is important

After looking at your pictures, I think you are measuring your base width improperly.  Given your height and weight and looking at you picture, I doubt your basewidth is more than 15 cm.  Please see a qualified surgeon to measure and discuss how your base width affects the implant you choose. If you go to my website, you will find a video library including animation about sizing.

Choosing the implant

This is why you need to have a full exam by a plastic surgeon so that they can measure you correctly and size up the right implant for you.

Breast Implant Sizes

I commend you for researching your procedure, however, it sounds as though you are missing a crucial step -> an in-person consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Your breast width is certainly not 19 or 20cm. It is much more likely to be in the 11.5-13 cm range based on your height, weight, and photo.  The anatomic sizing of the breast is important to allow for placement of an implant which will "fit". However, matching the implant which meets your goals and is within the confines of your anatomy is the challenging part. Extensive training and experience when combined with anatomic measurements allows for an educated decision as to implant type, textured vs. non-textured, under or over the muscle, and incision placement.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

The implant diameter is a very important detail

Seeing a board-certified plastic surgeon is the first step in getting the most reliable information available.  The surgeon will then use that knowledge in conjuction with your anatomy to give the best recommendation.  A far as the base width is concerned, the true measurement is not the actual width of your chest from the breast bone to your side but rather the base width of the actual implant that would best fit your chest wall.  You do not want an implant that would be positioned on your chest wall causing too much fullness under your arm. 

As far as the type of implant, let the plastic surgeon give you all the pros and cons before making up your mind.  I would recommend seeing him with an open mind.

Good luck!

Michael Baroody, MD
Danbury Plastic Surgeon

Breast Diameter and Choosing a Breast Implant should NOT be a Do-It-Yourself Project

Your photograph isvery useful. It demonstrates significant breast volumetric asymmetry which may require the use of intraoperative sizers to help pick theright implants. As regards your measurements, in my opinion they are significantly off and I doubt they were taken by a Plastic surgeon. While I applaud your involvement in your care and the learning you put into it, you really should enlist the opinion of a Plastic surgeon to take you the rest of the way,\. Dr. Peter Aldea

Another inaccurate base diameter

Perth,

I must first ask, who measured your breast base diameter?  Surely, it was not a plastic surgeon.  There is no way that your BD is 19 or 20 cm.  I personally can't think of any patient that presented to me for breast augmentation with those measurements in 16 years of practice.  That is why you can't find implants on the charts for your breasts.  Consultation with a plastic surgeon will shed light on your research and you will find implants, "on the charts", to fit your needs.  Good luck!