Breast base width of 14.0 and 14.5. Two very different implant recommendation from two PS: 415cc Natrelle Inspira SSX vs. 400cc

My breast base width is 14.0+ 14.5. No lift needed and I have very good tissues. Starting at a B cup now, or so my PS have told me. 5'6", 150lbs. One PS wants to put a 415cc Natrelle Inspira SSX (Xtra Full Projection) in which has a diameter of 12.0 and projection of 5.7. The other wants me in a 400cc Natrelle SSM (Moderate),diameter of 13.5, projection of 4.2. These are such opposite recommendations! Help?! They both said I could go with the 370cc SSF with the 12.5 base and 4.8 projection.

Implant choices

Hi.  For most women, there are several implant choices that could work nicely for them - not just one absolute implant pick.  It also depends on your taste and your goals, as well as the aesthetic judgement of the surgeon.  The implants you listed are all quite close in terms of cc's.  One is a moderate projection, the other a full projection - so they will give you different shaped results.  What kind of shape do you prefer?

Personally, if your base width is really 14 - 14.5 cm, I might be a little concerned that the 12.0 width implant might leave you with a wide cleavage gap.  However, this is really the sort of question that is difficult to answer on real self, and needs an in-person evaluation, assessment and a detailed discussion with you to sort out.

Best implant choice

Thank you for your inquiry about your breast implant selection. 

The decision depends on many factors – your height and weight, chest and breast measurements and skin quality as well as your goals and your plastic surgeon's recommendations. 

These surgeons are not making opposite recommendations. They are recommending similar implants varying slightly in width and projection, all of which will fit your chest. I suggest you return to the plastic surgeon with whom you have the better rapport, and discuss the pros and cons of these implants - do you want maximum projection and size? Do you want a smaller implant with less projection? This is not a right/wrong decision. It is a a personal choice. You are an essential part in making the decision. Best wishes. 

Two very different implant recommendations from two PS. Which is correct?

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or the Canadian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (CSAPS)  that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

How to choose breast implant size

Thank you for your question.  It is very common for different plastic surgeons to have different preferences for the type of breast implant that they use.  The 2 recommendations that you have are quite close in actual size.  Some times you have to base your decision on the plastic surgeon whom you feel more comfortable with.  For more information on how to choose breast implant cup size please read the following link:

There is no absolute right answer for you

1. Those implants are not really that different and I certainly wouldn't consider them "opposite"  recommendations. It really depends more on the look that you are going for. I suspect that you would get a nice result with either of those implants.  Have an honest discussion of your dilemma with both surgeons and choose the one that you are most comfortable with. Best of luck!

Timothy Wilson, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Breast base width of 14.0 and 14.5. Two very different implant recommendation from two PS. Which is correct?

Thank you for the question. There is no “black and white” when it comes to achieving a good outcome with breast augmentation surgery. It is the nature of our specialty, that if you were to ask 5 plastic surgeons their opinions, you would probably get 6 different answers.  Unfortunately, despite your excellent description of body type and goals,  it is not possible to give you specific advice without direct examination or at least viewing pictures.   Ultimately, careful communication of your goals, careful measurements (dimensional planning),  careful selection of appropriate breast implants and skillful execution of the procedure will be important steps in achieving your goals.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  revisionary breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or “C or D cup” or "fake look" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  The use of computer imaging may also be very helpful during the communication phase.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link help.