If I'm Having a Lift with Breast Augmentation Should I Go Up in the CCs as Well? (Photo)

Im 23 and have had 4 kids (last pregnancy was triplets) Ive consulted with dr about some lipo and doing breast augmentation and was recomened to have a breast lift. I curently am 195lbs and stand at 5'11. I have a bra size of 38d. Im wanting to be in the upwards area of a DD. Id rather be a little bigger than smaller and not sure if getting a larger cc in the 450-550 range would work when getting a lift as well? I want them to not look to fake.

Breast Augmentation/Lift

You plan to have a breast lift and augmentation sounds great for you.  The lift will move your nipple back up to the middle of your chest and implants will give you great cleavage and roundness at the top of your breast as well as achieve your goal of a bigger cup size.  Good luck!

Implants with a lift

first lets say that looking natural is a personal opinion and varies from person to person. I would say that if you are already a D cup, that placing the size implants you are stating will likely end up larger than a DD and also will likely not stay under the muscle for long due to their size and weight. These are things you need to discuss with your surgeon prior to undertaking those choices. When in doubt, the implant can always be placed at a later date so that appropriate sizing can be done.

Julio Garcia, MD

I think you  have a good and enough volume from your own breasts, if all lax skin goes away with the appropriate technique the breasts will lift up and will look like having an augmentaion without  implant. If you look at your numbers , you are already on D size, and you are looking for one more size up, so you don't need to have that much of CCs to get what you want. Reshaping the breast with mastopexy with no tissues ( only skin) resection will give a great young shape breast with no need for any more extra add, but you will stay in size D with better looking and more full breasts and normal nipples position, Best of luck.

Fatema S. Alsubhi, MD
UAE Plastic Surgeon

Should I have implants as well as a breast lift?

I would advise you to just have the lift in the first instance.  It will not change the cup size of the bra but your breasts will sit higher on your chest and will feel fuller. A 450-550cc implant will significantly increase your cup size and all implants bring with them potential complications.  If you feel that you are lacking in volume after the lift, then you can have implants. 

I often do implants and a lift in one go, but in your case, I would advise you to stage it as you may not need the implants at all.

Good luck. Jonathan Staiano

Breast implants and lifts

One undeniable fact especially when considering breast implants and lifts is that the problems with this surgery almost always come from the implants and the bigger you go the more problems you will have.  So stick to the smallest implant that will still give you enough volume to make you happy.  Bigger isn't always better.

Breast augmentation together with breast lift

If you visit enough surgeons and offer to pay enough money eventually you will find a surgeon who will do almost anything but that does not mean you should have it done. In my opinion you are currently heading down a path you will regret when you are older. You have some breast drooping which is understandable given your weight and history. I can assure you that if nothing else changes but your age the drooping will progress as you age. If you get implants placed under the muscle the breasts will separate from them as the drooping progresses. If you put the implants above the muscle, especially of the size you are contemplating, the drooping will progress much more quickly. The lifting procedure just involves the removal of some breast skin to achieve the lift. It cannot and there is no way to tighten the breast ligaments whose stretching causes the drooping. Therefore virtually all breast lifts have some finite risk of relapsing. I would refuse to do any breast surgery on you other than a lift when you are older and the drooping is more significant.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Breast lift with implants

I highly discourage you from having implants in addition to a lift. Implants with time and regardless of size and placement will always stretch tissue and make things worse than what you have now. I believe you will greatly benefit from a new technique called the Ultimate Breast Lift. This technique will reshape your breasts and give them a firm and perky 'implant' look. But, the most attractive part of this procedure is that there are NO VERTICAL SCARS. The scars are hidden around the areola and the inframammary folds. Perkier breasts will give the appearance of larger breasts. I hope this helps. Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and implant size

In general, when a breast is lifted properly it looks bigger even though the volume didn't increase. From a mechanical (fitting) perspective, implants done with a lift (mastopexy) should be smaller (both in width and forward projection) than in augmentation alone. In your situation I would strongly advise against any implants put in at the same time. You are asking for problems of size, shape, weight, and secondary surgery by lifting and augmenting breasts that are already D cup size. Do the mastopexy alone and then see if you still want the implants as a controlled secondary procedure later on.

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Boulder Plastic Surgeon

Your  questions are very hard to advise over the internet. If you truly desire a larger/lifted breast than a combination of at least 350 cc + lift can be done. But why not do the full lift first operation, allow healing. Than see if you desire a larger result with an implant. Just a thought. 

Breast lift and breast implants.

The combination of a breast lift and breast implants requires careful thinking.  They are separate operations working against each other.  If you have plenty of breast volume, which you do, a breast lift may be all you really need.  Many patients with sagging breast ask for implants because they want firmer breasts.  Breast implants may give more firmness, but using breast implants should be if you desire larger breasts.  You already have nice volume, I would be very cautious about larger breasts.  The long term result may be compromised.

Steven S. Carp, MD
Akron Plastic Surgeon