I Had a Breast Augmentation 2 Weeks Ago, the Day After my Surgery I Developed a Hematoma?

My surgeon took me to the er and he said he cleaned out the blood put the same implant back and put a drain for the blood. Should my surgeon have waited for me to heel and then put the implant back, could I get and infection down the road?

Hematoma treatment

Swift resolution of the hematoma is necessary and what your surgeon did is routine. Please note that infection is always a risk even if your surgeon had not done that.

Hematoma post aug

This i standard care.If you have a hematoma you drain it,stop the bleeding and reinsert the implant.Only if there is an infection does the implant remain out for wa while.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Heamtoma after breast augmentation.

It is important to remove a hematoma quickly after a breast augmentation. The blood takes a long time to breakdown and go away and if it persists you are at risk for infection and capsular contracture. Standard treatment involves washing out the implant space, identifying and stopping any bleeding, and placing a drain. For a hematoma, it is okay to place the implant back in the pocket during the evacuation procedure.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma treatment

By your description, your surgeon did the right thing and treated you appropriately.  Most surgeons would pave done the same thing.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Had a Breast Augmentation complicated by Bleeding

Bleeding after surgery is a known and accepted complication after every surgical procedure. When the bleeding is substantial most surgeon would opt for taking the patient back to the operating room, remove the blood, wash the area and make sure any areas which are bleeding are controlled. Most surgeons would do exactly what your surgeon did because his/your options were few. There is ALWAYS a chance for infection (which according to your description has not happened) and for severe scarring around the breast (Capsular Contracture). The use of anti-asthma drugs to treat capsular contractures has NOT shown to be effective and may be associated with a small but real risk of fatal liver disease. As a result, I would personally NOT recommend their use just after bleeding as opposed to treating a case of established contracture or treatment after removal of a contracture.

Stick close to your surgeon. It's obvious he has your best interests at heart.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Hematoma after breast augmentation.

I think your surgeon did the right thing. A hematoma of a significant size can create extra scarring and capsule if not treated.  I think delay and healing in your case was to  be avoided.  Time will tell and you will be nervous (so will your surgeon) to see what the fiinal result will be, BUT the early intervention gives you a really really good chance of having the results you hoped for.

Brent A. Buchele, MD, MBA
Kalispell Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma after Breast Augmentation and Risk of Infection?

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you had experience. It sounds like your plastic surgeon has treated you promptly and appropriately. Given that you are now approximately 2 weeks out of your surgery/evacuation of hematoma,  most of the  time period for risk of infection has passed.  Ask him about his thoughts about the use of anti-inflammatories ( such as Accolade or Singular)...