Is it ok to do breast augmentation with a slow heart rate if found to be normal?

I'm 27 ys old with a slow heart rate of about 45 bpm and I'm scheduled for breast augmentation with a donut lift. I went to a cardiologist and the results are pending but if found that everything is normal can I go under general anesthesia without risking myself?

Breast Augmentation with Low Heart Rate

As the other plastic surgeons have noted, if your cardiologist clears you for breast augmentation you can feel confident about moving ahead.

To ensure you have the safest possible procedure, and to minimize any anxiety for you, I'd recommend a few other measures. Ensure your doctor's surgical facility is fully accredited by a respected organization such as the Joint Commission or the AAAASF, and that your surgeon has privileges in at least one reputable hospital nearby. Look into the background of your anesthesiologist; you may want to work with an M.D. anesthesiologist, knowing he or she is a fully-trained doctor. You might also be interested to find out how long your anesthesiologist and plastic surgeon have practiced together. Finally, if the thought of having general anesthesia bothers you, choose a plastic surgeon who offers IV or "twilight" sedation for breast augmentation. For many people, the thought of being lightly asleep during surgery without the need for a breathing tube is comforting.

Elliot Jacobs, M.D.

Breast augmentation with a slow heart rate

Thank you for your question.  If your cardiologist clears you for aesthetic plastic surgery and the anesthesiologist who will be taking care of you approves then you may go ahead with a breast augmentation.

Is a slow heart rate a problem?

No worries, once your cardiologist has cleared you for general anesthesia you should be good to go.

Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation with a slow resting heart rate

Thank you for your question.  Resting heart rate is quite variable, and can be low in an athletic, young person.  An evaluation with a cardiologist like you have done will determine if your heart rate is normal and be able to clear you for surgery. Once this happens, it should be safe to proceed with your augmentation.

Your anesthesiologist will also review your health and heart rate before surgery.  It is important to use a qualified anesthesiologist in an accredited facility to maximize your safety for your augmentation.  In the proper setting, breast augmentation is a safe procedure.

Best of luck with your augmentation.

Jeff Rockmore

Breast Augmentation and slow heart rate?

You need a full cardiology workup, which you are having. If everything is normal, than you simply have a slow heartrate and no abnormalities. Make sure your surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon and you are having your surgery in a fully accredited Operating Room. 

Slow heart rate and breast augmentation

Many young healthy athletic patients have a low heart rat in the mid to high 40's.  If a cardiologist or internist feels that yours is normal, then it should be ok.  Good luck.

Slow heart rate

It sounds like you have taken all the right steps prior to your surgery.  If you have clearance from your cardiologist then you should proceed with your breast augmentation.  

Low heartbeat and anesthesia

You are correct that you must receive medical clearance from the cardiologist prior to surgery.  If the slow heartbeat is not part of a larger medical problem, I would anticipate that you will receive clearance and should be able to undergo surgery with no untoward risks.  Best of luck!

Slow HR

Be sure to have a cardiologist do a complete consultative workup before surgery and have your cardiologist talk to your plastic surgeon and your anesthesia person (preferably  an anesthesiologist/MD) before your surgery.

John M. Griffin, MD

If your cardiologist clears you for surgery under general anesthesia, then You should be able to safely undergo the procedures. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD