Breast Augmentation Revision Recovery Due to Capsular Contracture

I'm having breast augmentation revision surgery due to capsular contracture on both sides. I'm having capsulectomy on both sides and having new implants moved from subglandular to subpectoral. I am also getting larger implants. What is the recovery time for this surgery? Or has anyone undergone this process and how was the recovery/outcome?

Recovery after capsulectomy

Your recovery may be longer than it was after the first operation because of the muscle dissection.  Also, after removing the capsule, many surgeons use drains because there is a larger raw surface that could seep fluid in the pocket.  I instruct my patients to resume their everyday activities as soon as possible, but to avoid heavy upper body exertion for 1 month.

Recovery after capsulectomy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

About Capsular Contracture

One of the most common problems is breast capsular #contracture or the development of thickening, and contracture of the capsule that exists around the breast implants. Severe capsule contracture probably occurs in less than 15% of augmentation patients. Every woman has a breast capsule around their implant and this is a normal phenomenon. The capsule itself could be as thin as Saran Wrap but may also become calcified and thickened. As it thickens and shrinks, the patient may develop a feeling a firmness of the breasts and in its worst situation, the breast may become painful and abnormal in appearance, achieving a very round, hard, and uneven appearance. There may be distortion and possible breakage and leakage of an older implant, but may also include a newer #implant. Nicotine users, such as smokers, have up to a 30x increased risk of #capsular contracture.

Saline implants may deflate spontaneously. When the patient has significant #symptoms, complete or partial leakage of their saline implant, or concerns regarding silicone leakage, it is recommended that the implant is removed and exchanged. Frequently, this is performed on both sides depending upon the age of the implant. Capsulotomy or opening of the capsule may be required or frequently capsulectomy, which is removal of the scarred capsule, is r#ecommended to ensure adequate pocket dimensions.

New implants may then be placed in the same existing position or may undergo a change of #placement frequently from submammary to subpectoral position and, on occasion, the other way around.

About Capsular Contracture

Sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced. Capsular contraction can be a very frustrating complication for both patients and surgeons.  In my practice, I have found the most success treating these difficult problems utilizing techniques such as sub muscular pocket conversion (if relevant), capsulectomy, use of fresh implants, and the use of acellular dermal matrix.  Acellular dermal matrix is a biologic implant that carries the ability to become integrated into native tissue. It is made by taking a full thickness section of skin from a donor source ( human, porcine, or bovine in origin).  I hope this, and the attached link ( demonstrating a case utilizing acellular dermal matrix) helps. 

Breast Augmentation Revision Recovery

Post-Operative Healing following Breast revision varies from patient to patient and recovery recommendations also vary among different plastic surgeons - Best advice is to ask your surgeon his recommendations.

Below is what is typical for my practice.
This is an outpatient surgery and you will  probably go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines.

In my practice - Sutures are dissolvable but the ending knot is removed within 1-2 weeks.

Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days and return to work for light duty 1-2 weeks following surgery

Breast Augmentation Revision Recovery

Recovery for revision breast augmentation

Hi there-

Because your recovery will depend on many variables, including the exact details of the planned procedure, your best bet is to ask your surgeon what they would expect your recovery to be given their better understanding of the surgery scheduled.

I would agree that the recovery will probably be a bit more difficult than your initial procedure.

Hi there-

Worse recovery

Your recovery will most likely be worse than your first surgery due to the submuscular placement of the new implant and the fact that your old capsule will be removed, I believe the whole capsule needs to be removed if possible due to the most likely cause of capsular contracture: subclinical infection. After the surgery everybody recovers in a different way, you have an idea about how you recover from the first surgery but remember this will most likely be worse. Good luck

Worse recovery

Recovery after after revision breast augmentation surgery

Great question. Your recovery will be easier than expected and it likely relates to the fact that your skin and breast tissue have already been operated on and stretched by the implant. The plane change from subglandular to subpectoral will cause some discomfort as well the capsulectomy will too, but it will be easier the second and hopefully the last time around.

Dr. Trussler

Dr. Trussler

Recovery from breast augmentation

Recovery from breast augmenetation varies from patient to patient.  I usually tell patients that they can go back to work within a week after surgery.  Light aerobic activity can be performed at 3-4 weeks, and heavy lifting by 6-8 weeks.

Recovery from breast augmentation

Capsulectomy

Recovery from capsulectomy and implant pocket exchange will obviously take longer than a primary breast augmentation. Your surgeon should provide you with the information on the recovery and plan of surgery. In my experience, you will need to plan for about a week of post-operative recovery.

Capsulectomy

Breast implant augmentation removal replacement and capsulectomy

This is a signficantly more invasive procedure than your initial procedure due to the transitiion from over to under the muscle. Activity limitations vary by surgeon and I would discuss this. Drains may be in place and will also limit your activity during the postoperative period.