Can You Have a Breast Augmentation Consultation at 17?

I turn 18 in December and I've always had this crazy plan that I will have the surgery on my eighteenth birthday and use Christmas break to recover. Now that its actually getting close to that time, I'm wondering if its even a possibility? Would surgeons even consult me at 17 without a parent there?

Breast augmentation consultation at age 17?

Of course you can obtain information at any time, but you would need parental approval for surgery before your 18th birthday. Your growth should be complete and stable, but that is usually the case in most 18 year-old women.

Contrary to what some of my colleagues are saying, silicone gel implants are perfectly legal in someone younger than 22 years of age, though use of silicone gel implants before age 22 is considered "off-label," just as is the use of Botox for "crow's feet." (Botox is FDA approved ONLY for treatment of glabellar frown lines; use elsewhere is considered off-label.)

So if you have done your research, have the financial means to pay for the surgery, and understand the potential risks and complications, you can proceed with surgery once you are 18. Having parental approval is not essential after age 18, but if you are mature and well-informed enough to undergo surgery (and pay for it yourself), then you should be able to provide a convincing case to your parents, who SHOULD know, and probably approve as well.

You also need someone to take care of you after surgery, and that task usually falls to a spouse or family member who has your best interests at heart, so there is another good reason to have your parents on your side! For more information on breast augmentation, click on the web reference link below. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Consultations For Minors?

Thank you for your question!  It depends on what facility you go to.  I advise you to seek a board certified plastic surgeon and ask about a consultation without a parent.  You have to be 18 to have cosmetic surgery, and 21 for gel implants.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board CertifiedPlastic SurgeonChicagoHoffman EstatesOak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Your options

There are two great options to consider:
1. IDEAL implants - these are newly released "hybrid implants" double lumen saline implants made to feel like silicone
2. I will place silicone implants in patients under 22 yrs old but first have an informed consent and have them sign a waiver that they are aware that they are being used in "off label' FDA use.

A 17-year-old can have a consultation for a breast augmentation.

A 17-year-old can have a consultation for breast augmentation. Whether or not the parents are present is up to the discretion of the surgeon. An operation however requires the consent of the parents before the age of 18.

Breast augmentation at age 17

It is perfectly okay to have breast augmentation at age 17 or 18 years of age. If you're currently not 18, even your consultation will need to be presence of the legal guardian or your parents. You should have a frank discussion with your parents regarding your intentions and I am sure if they are shown the pros and cons appropriately and speak to your doctor about it, you will likely have their support.  

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

How Old Do You Need To Be for Breast Augmentation?

Breast augmentation can be considered as young as 15 years old - for asymmetry, in very select patients and with parental approval. It is reasonable to seek consultation about asymmetry or complete lack of development at any time. There are in fact some genetic and hormonal disorders than can cause this, and medical screening is worthwhile. 

In order to undergo breast augmentation, a patient must be mature enough to understand the inherent risks of the surgery, and if less than 18 must also have parental consent. At 17 it is reasonable for you to see a plastic surgeon to review your options.

Cory Goldberg, MD

Breast augmentation consultation at age 17 is very appropriate

The more informed a patient is about a surgical procedure, the better patient they are, so it is very appropriate for you to start gathering information.  Of course, it is major surgery, so I would not be in a rush.  

Roger J. Oldham, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Yes, there is no problem with a consultation for breast augment at 17 years old (your parent would need to be present). I would wait until 18 years old for surgery due to age of consent. Sometimes we do operate on minors with breast deformities but that is considered more reconstructive in nature.

Breast implants possible at age 17?

Yes you can not only have the consultation but you can have the surgery with written parenteral approval. We had one 16 yr old that brought a court document identifying her as an "Emancipated Minor" .  That qualified her for any surgery that is safe & effective. In your age group the implants are best placed behind the muscle, through the arm-pit which means they are not even in contact with the breast gland and there is no scar on the breast.  Dr. Foster 

Lawrence Foster, MD (retired)
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation at 17

I think that you shuold wait until your 18. That is the recommendation from the society. If you desire silicone implants, thenyou will need to wait until you are 22.