Tightness and Discomfort After Breast Augmentation

I am 24 days post breast augmentation with mastopexy for the left breast. When I bend down, I still feel pressure or discomfort. Is this normal and will it go away?

Discomfort, tightness normal after breast augmentation

Breast implants will press against the pectoralis muscle making your chest feel tight. Especially in healthy athletic patients, it will take time (2-3 months) before these feelings go away.

Discomfort will go away as nerves adapt to the implant

You may be experiencing a dyesthesia from the stretching of the lateral nerves. This is very common and can be positional. When you bend over you are adding stretch to the nerves. This is usually described as a burn or deep ache sensation. Light massage helps but this will go away as the nerves and breast tissue adapt to the implant.

Tightness and discomfort after augmentation can be normal

I would like to echo what the other doctors have said, and add that if you are pre menopausal, you may feel more discomfort during your menses--especially if you have PMS.

Barry H. Dolich, MD (Retired)
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy and pressure

Bending over after breast surgery increases your blood pressure and will cause throbbing or discomfort for several weeks.  Be patient, this most likely will go away over time.

The tightness will resolve with time

Having some discomfort and tightness with movement after breast augmentation/mastopexy can happen and is normal. For most women, this will resolve over the course of a few weeks.

Discuss with your surgeon what he or she would like you to do over the next few weeks to help the implant settle and the scars soften. I wil usually have my patients begin massaging the breasts as well as the scars at about 2 weeks after the procedure-- I find this not only helps the implants settle and the scars fade, but also reduces the discomfort that some patients have.

Overall, sounds like you're healing normally,

Dr. Salemy

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Need more time to heal

This is normal and will gradually go away in a couple of months. You've just had a big surgery so allow your body to heal.

Ronald Levine, MD

HEALING AFTER BREAST SURGERY, AUGMENTATION, LIFTS
  • 1.pain is variable
  • 2.it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax
  • 3.celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help
  • 4.massage and stretching may help
  • 5.everyone heals differently
  • 6.4-7 days off from work is commonsd

Tightness and discomfort after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Sorry to hear that you are still uncomfortable at 3.5 weeks out. It is not uncommon to have some residual discomfort, especially with different positions that may stretch the developing scar tissue. If things don't progressively get better or rather gets worse, then you may want to consider revisiting with your plastic surgeon.

Discomfort and tightness normal after Breast Augmentation

DD,

Have patience. You are only 3 weeks out from your surgery. Discomfort and tightness are common after breast augmentation and mastopexy. Your tissues will relax and soften over the next few months. Good luck!

Tightness and Discomfort

Thank you for the question.  You are still in the early stages of recovery.  It could take around 8-12 weeks for the wounds to fully heal and the implants to settle.  The pain should get better over time.  If it doesn't, it would be best to visit your local board-certified plastic surgeon.  Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS