Breast Augmentation Asymmetry After 6 Weeks. Will It Get Better Or Will I Need Surgery to Correct It?

I had silicone implants place under the muscle 6 weeks ago. I had 325cc on both breast. My breast are still swollen, I know, but my right breast is bigger and lower than my left. Will my breast stay like this? Because right now the difference is way noticeable. I am scared that I might need another surgery to correct this. In my pre-op visits my surgeon did tell me that my right breast was bigger than my left but I never though it was gonna be this noticeable after surgery.

Major Breast Asymetry After Augmentation Requires Diagnosis of Cause and Treatment

Thank you for your important question. The asymmetry in your photo is much larger than that explained by previous breast asymmetry before implants.

My concern is that you may have a hematoma (collection of blood) or that a larger implant was used on the larger size. This is not normal.

You need to see your surgeon and if no explanation then a second opinion. An Ultrasound would show a hematoma or an MRI may show as significant difference in Implant size.

This is not normal-seek an explanation

Asymmetry after 6 weeks

Thank you for your question.  Temporary asymmetry is quite common after breast augmentation.  For one thing, most patients have asymmetry before surgery but just never notice it, and maybe their plastic surgeon never noticed it.  If you look back at your before pictures you may notice it now.  So with a breast augmentation, your breasts will be fuller and larger but they are still going to have some of that inherent breast asymmetry.  A breast augmentation can not change the nipple position, the width of the breast, the level of the crease etc.  This requires more advanced techniques like a mastopexy or revision which often requires more scars on the breast.  So your breasts will be sisters, not twins afterwards.  That being said, sometimes we will place two different size implants if the discrepancy is substantial enough to at least try to correct some of the difference between the two breasts...but again this is not going to make them twins.  In addition, implants tend to settle and sit in the pocket differently.  So one breast might seem lower and smaller, or lower and larger depending on the rate of settling.  I typically recommend patients wait a full 3 months before we critically assess the results and begin having any discussions about a revision surgery.  

P.S. RealSelf has a button called the “Follow” button.  It is similar to the "Like" button on Facebook. If you like my response or any of the doctor responses while you research on Realself, you should "Follow" them. You will get email updates, when the doctors you follow post any new answers to questions, post new photos, or have any new review

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Brian Arslanian, MD

Possible hematoma

Thank you for the question. The asymmetrical difference is quite large.  It looks like you could have a possible hematoma on your left breast. best to visit your surgeon and get a full evaluation.  Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Breast Enhancement Surgery

Deffinately am worried, looks like a hematoma to me. I would want you to be seen in ER as soon as possible 

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Significant asymmetries require surgical revision

Minor asymmetries are common following breast augmentation. However, there is nothing minor about the asymmetry shown in your photo. You likely have either a hematoma or seroma causing this. Unfortunately, six weeks after surgery is a very bad time to re-operatie on a breast unless it is absolutely necessary. You will likely need a revision, but will need to wait for the scar tissue to mature and soften.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Breast assymmetry

Although some breast assymetry is always present significant assymetry can and should be addressed.  There are a number of possibilities causing your left breast to be larger including:

1) Hematoma

2) Seroma

3) Bigger implant

4) Bigger breast preoperatively

Your before photos and your examination should help differentiate these and help you and your plastic surgeon plan out the next step.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Significant breast asymmetries present

There are clearly significant differences between the left and right breast in size and position. Without having preoperative photos to assess, it is impossible to provide you with entirely accurate information such as how much of this is related to pre-existing asymmetries and could have different decisions been made for the procedure such as involving different implant sizes. Furthermore, you did not state if the difference in size has increased significantly since surgery. This latter could be related to such issues as the development of a hematoma or seroma (fluid collection).

Regardless, you will need to contact your surgeon and have him/her evaluate you. Some sort of intervention/revision will be needed.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

thanks for the posted photos and ALL the expert posters agree on an asymmetry. the cause can not be determined by only the posted photos. You need second opinions and revision surgery Sorry. 

For whatever reason, you do not have an acceptable breast augmentation result.

Hi.

1)  You might have a hematoma in the larger breast..  You need a sonogram to make sure that is not the cause.

2)  Otherwise, I am afraid you should wait another three months and then have a revision.  You need different size implants in each breast and one implant pocket needs to be  brought down.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast asymmetry after augmentation

Based on your pictures you do have significant asymmetry present at this time. However, it is only 6 weeks since your surgery and further changes in the breasts are to be expected over the course of the next few months. If it does turn out that a benign uninfected fluid collection is present around the implant then conservative treatment (allowing the fluid to reabsorb) may be indicated.

Continue close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.