I Had Breast Augmentaiton a Year Ago and my Left Breast Tends to Hurts/ Sharp Pain, Should I be Concerned?

My left breast hurts every now and then. It is not a constant pain. But I would have twice a weeek. Sharp pain aginst my ribcage and travel to my arm. I am worried. please help

Doctor Answers 5

Pain after Breast Augmentation Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You should consider other more serious causes of chest pain. If you are in good health and have no other causes of pain like heart related pain, reflux, costochondritis, or peptic ulcer disease, you may have pain related to irritation of your nerves. Neuropathic pain or nerve related pain maybe caused by irritation or scar tissue or maybe a pressure related phenomenon. Rest assure, there are several treatments for pain due to breast implants. If you do have pain, begin massage to the area of pain to help desensitize the area. If at least 6 months and preferably 12 months have passed after your breast implant surgery, some modalities that may help resolve your pain are:

1. Local Steroid injection to area of pinpoint pain

2. Flector transdermal NSAID patch

3. Intercostal nerve block

You should consult with your plastic surgeon to determine what is most appropriate for you and your particular signs and symptoms. Good Luck, Ankit Desai, MD - Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Pain in chest

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you think it is from your implant then you should probably see your palstic surgeon, but if it is not, you should see your medicla doctor to make sure it is not something else from your heart, your lungs, or your rib cage..

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Pain in Chest/Arm after Breast Augmentation?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question.

It would be best for you to be seen/ examined by your primary care physician and plastic surgeon to determine the specific cause of your discomfort. It may or may not be related to the breast implants. In other words, it is best not to assume that chest and/or arm pain is related to the breast implant.

once you rule out other causes of these symptoms,  breast implant related problems can be  assessed also. For example, if breast implants displace laterally ( fall off to the side when you lie down)  they may cause pressure in the axillary area and potential discomfort down the arm.

Again, please see consultation with your physicians.

Best wishes.

Breast pains after augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Chest or breast pains are not common after breast implants, though some patients do complain of them. I would suggest seeing your primary care physician as we do not know of your age or health, and chest pains radiating down your left arm are common with heart disease. Not to scare, but look at the pains and causes broadly and your doctor may be able to guide you to a solution.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Peter E. Johnson, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 44 reviews

Breast pain after augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I am sorry you are having this pain, but, rest assured, it is not likely to be anything harmful to you other than the distress from the pain itself.  Chronic pain (meaning it is present for greater than 1 year) developing after breast augmentation is rare but definitely reported.  The type of pain you describe sounds neuropathic meaning that the origin of the pain is from your peripheral nerves, likely located in your thoracic area (more specifically thoracic inetrcostals 1-6).

This would be my plan of action.  First, see your surgeon and get reassurance that his or her physical exam does not lead them to believe that there is anything wrong with the implant or its position on your chest wall.  Your surgeon may be comfortable prescribing medication for neuropathic pain such as gabapentin or lyrica.  These medications do not work overnight and you have to be compliant in taking them for many weeks and adjusting the dosage before evaluating whether or not it helped you.  You may also wish to get referred to a physical therapist who can perform massage and desensitization techniques which may help.  You may also need to be evaluated by your surgeon or primary doctor to ensure that your complaints aren't part of a bigger pain syndrome such as fibromyalgia.

If you fail medical treatment or your surgeon prefers to send you early, you could then get referred to a pain specialist.  They can perform nerve blocks which help diagnose and treat which nerves are to blame for the pain.  There is also now some research into radiofrequency devices that can help mute out those irritated nerves and give you lasting relief.  I wish you luck and am sorry for your stress.  It may also help you to know that every patient I've seen with issues like this have eventually gotten better with or without treatment.  Nerve irritation pain can be pesky and worrisome for the patient and humbling for the surgeon since it is so difficult to predict. 

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.