Will my waist get smaller? (Photo)

I'm 4 1/2 weeks post-op tt, and lipo with fat transfer. I measured my waist and it's between a 29 and a 30. I was hoping to have a size 27 waist. Do you think my waist will get smaller with time? Also, I had liposuction on my lower back, which fat was transferred to my buttocks. However, I feel like my lower back is still wide/big. Do you think my lower back will slim down?

Small Waist

Hello and thank you for sharing your concerns. Four weeks is still too soon to see your final results. You are still very much swelling, but so far it looks great. Give it about six months to see if the swelling has subsided. If you are still concerned, please consult with your surgeon. I wish you the best of luck!

Liposuction Questions

Hello,You are still bruised, so you are definitely still swollen. I don't think you'll get down to a 27 inch waist if you are at 30 now. What's more important is your overall contours, which appear very good.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

A smaller waist.

At 4 1/2 weeks you definitely still have some swelling.  After a tummy tuck and liposuction, my patients are told they will still have noticeable swelling at 4 - 6 weeks.  Even at 6 months you will have a small amount of swelling.  Therefore I am sure you will go down some more.  Now whether you will go down by 2 - 3 inches is another question.  I doubt that much.  But give it time.  I would tell you not to be looking too critically at your measurements until closer to the 6 month point.  And there is other anatomy that adds to your waist measurement besides the subcutaneous fat, that is removed in liposuction.  There is intra-abdominal fat that is only able to be corrected by weight loss, there is musculature in the abdomen and back that can add to your size, and your particular bone structure that has a bearing.  Be patient with your surgery and your swelling.

Richard R. Orr, MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon