How long does a BBL last?

What is Lifespan of a BBL

Hello and Great Question.  I appreciate the time you are spending researching this procedure.  My name is Dr. Matthew J. Nykiel.  I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, a Fellowship Trained Cosmetic Surgeon, and a Butt Augmentation Specialist.   Initially, you will have swelling that will subside (this usually take 4-6 weeks).  After that time period, your buttock size will be stable and will fluctuate normally with your weight.  A Brazilian Butt Lift or BBL can be thought of as a combination of two procedures:  1) Liposuction and 2) Fat Grafting.  In an artistic way, BBL can be thought of as sculpting of the torso and buttocks to refine and create an hour glass with a “bubbly butt”.   The first portion of the procedure involves liposuction 360 degrees around your torso.  The liposuction focus is to sculpt your body in 3D to create an hour glass.  This is first done by liposuction of your flanks to create the silhouette of the hour glass.  Then the liposuction proceeds to your back and waist to help create that “S” Curve of the back when viewed from the side.  In addition, this helps to initially sculpt the “bubble” or the “shelf” in the transition from the back to butt.  Next, liposuction proceeds to the inner and outer thighs.  Liposuction of the inner thighs helps to create the “thigh gap” which “frames” the butt.  This also helps to sculpt and mold the inner gluteal fold.  The outer thigh liposuction helps to bring in the thighs just below the hips; a finesse technique that further helps to sculpt the lower hour glass and bring contrast from the hips to thighs.  Finally, liposuction is performed on the abdomen to create an elegant and flowing 3D hour glass.   After the liposuction, the fat is then prepared to contour and augment the buttocks.  In my practice, I take fat preparation very seriously.  Studies have been performed showing that the liposuction removed contains 30-70% fluid (NOT Fat!) and fluid will not have a long term effect on your butt.  Therefore, I think that fat preparation is imperative. Once the fat is prepared, I begin by contouring your buttocks in a round or heart shape.  Again, this contouring is done as 3D sculpting.  So, if viewed from the back, side or angles the butt will have full “bubbly” appearance.   The sculpting also includes the hips as this is an extremely important measurement to the butt and provides the “base” to the hour glass shape.   After contouring the buttocks, I then utilize the fat to increase the volume and projection.  The goal is not to simply increase the volume of the butt; the goal is to also create/sculpt a buttocks with the correct projection.  In other words, trying to get the butt to “pop”.   The balance of liposuction, fat grafting, and 3D sculpting is what makes the Brazilian Butt Lift or BBL such a powerful procedure!
Please reach out if you have any further questions.  Best of Luck!   Sincerely, Matthew J. Nykiel, M.D. #RealSelfTopDoctor #RealSelfCoreDoctor “THE” Butt Doctor Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Cosmetic Fellowship Trained Surgeon

How long does a BBL last

Thank you for your question. After a BBL usually 70% of the fat transferred will stay forever. Traditional tumescent procedure to harvest fat is the one with the least amount of trauma to the individual fat cells. The enhancement on BBL works best with the reverse pump technique which achieve the most longevity. (avg. 70-75% fat take)
Hope this helps,Dr. Newall

German Newall, MD

How long does a BBL last

Thank you for your question. With Brazilian butt lift we transfer fat from one area of the body to the other.  These fat cells are transferred in microinjections throughout multiple planes in the buttock tissue so that they can gain new blood supply and live in their new home, providing increased volume and shape to the buttocks. The fat that survives is there permanently. Around 70% of fat that is grafted is typically expected to survive long term. We also put a little extra to account for loss of fat post operative, which is reabsorbed gradually by the body.

How long does a BBL last?

A BBL should last if you maintain a stable weight.  After 4 weeks, I have noticed the result to be stable over time.

How long does a BBL last?

Commonly, it takes about 6 weeks for the initial stage of swelling and fat resorption to subside following a Brazilian butt lift.  Over the long term, approximately 65% to 75% of the fat that is transferred will remain permanently.  If one gains or looses weight after a BBL, these fat cells will also increase or decrease in relative size, but the fat cells will remain and survive.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

How long does a BBL last?

It's a good question. After fat is transferred to the buttocks, about 50-90% of it will "take" and will become permanent in the buttocks. The fat can increase or decrease in size, with changes in weight, but is essentially permanent.