How Much Fat is Needed for a Brazilian Butt Lift and Can You Use Fat from Other People?

I'm looking for a way to have fat transferred from my thin body to my buttocks area but I can't find any except for my small pouchy belly! Is it possible that I can have my husband's belly fat transferred to my buttocks in order to have the brazilian butt lift? Also, how much fat does one need for one butt cheek?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The exact amount of CCs needed depends on you. The BBL is a very personal and beautiful augmentation when it is performed specifically to your dimensions.
My recommendation is that you find an ASPS board certified surgeon in your area who specializes in the BBL, and set up an in person consult. An in person consult with an an ASPS board certified surgeon is the only way to determine the best route for your body and your goals.

You cannot use other people’s fat cells – but again an ASPS board certified surgeon will be able to devise the perfect and personal strategy to help you meet your goals.

Fat transfer to the buttocks- you must use your own fat

hello,

You can not use donor fat for a fat transfer. You must use your own fat .There are several reasons why fat transfer must be autologous (your own), and not from another person.

The first reason is that using your own fat will not introduce any rejection or compatibility issues. It is your own fat and thus we know your body will accept it. There should be no rejection by the body of your own fat tissue.

Another reason is that the FDA considers the use of your own fat as an 'autologous procedure'. If the tissue is not autologous ( not your own) , this is no longer a simple 'tissue transfer' but it becomes an entirely different classification of procedure with many regulations .

Ricardo Rodriguez, MD

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

How Much Fat is Needed for a Brazilian Butt Lift and Can You Use Fat from Other People? #fat harvesting

This is a relatively complex question and can only be answered on an individual basis.  The amount of fat needed for a BBL is directly related to your anatomic proportions.  There are times an individual is too thin to collect an adequate amount of fat which is disappointing to the patient.  Unless these people gain adequate amounts of weight they would benefit from using a buttock implant placed well by only a select few physicians. 

If someone has a smaller pelvis and is more petite, then they may not need as much fat.  Nor would the buttock accommodate as much fat either.  Conversely, someone who is larger with a bigger pelvis would require more fat to make the finished appearance relatively fuller. 

Unfortunately, you cannot use fat from other people.  Would be nice though and I would have a line of donors!!  LOL!

Where fat meets fiction

Felixthekitten,

It sounds like that you are a thin but may have some belly fat that could contribute to a brazilian butt lift but you need to have other areas of fat to contribute to the fat transfer to the buttocks. Typically, fat is liposuction from the abdomen, love handles, outer thighs, back and inner thighs if available. The amount of fat needed to improve the shape and size of the buttocks varies from patient to patient. I have transferred fat volumes from 280 to 550 cc per buttock.

Unfortunately, transplanting fat from one person to another is not an ideal or acceptable method to improve the size and shape one's buttocks. Additional, methods of improving shape that could be used are buttocks implants and surgical tightening to loose skin to lift the buttocks (usually for patients that have lost massive amounts of weight).

I hope this clears up the questions you had.

Donor fat for Brazilian Butt Lift?

Unfortunately for now, the fat has to come from you. Your body will reject fat from someone else. Someday, we will probably be able to take some of your fat and grow it in a lab, producing more of it and then give it back to you. But, for now we have to work with what you've got.

I have three suggestions:
Be evaluated by a Plastic Surgeon with a lot of experience with the Brazilian Lift. I have found more than enough fat on women who thought or were told that they didn't have enough.

Secondly, if you are that thin, then a little fat added to a tiny frame can provide a reasonable increase in size. So, you actually may have enough at your current size.

My third suggestion (if neither of the above are correct in your situation) is to gain a few pounds. I know it's probably not something you would want to do, but it can be removed from just about any area that you gain it, and we will then have more fat to inject into your buttocks.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Brazilian Butt Lift - Where to get the fat?

Thanks for the question -

In our San Francisco area practice we perform Brazilian Butt Lifts regularly. We typically need at least 300-400 ccs of fat per butt cheek. This of course depends on the anatomy and the desired amount of contour augmentation.

People many times have more fat then they think they do. Areas that we look to help people improve include abdomen, flanks, and thighs.

A tool that may be helpful is calculating your BMI (body mass index). (Just google it, there are plenty of online tools, all you need is your height and your weight). If your BMI is over 25 you likely have adequate fat for transfer.

It is not currently possible to take fat from other people and use it to augment your own contours.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss this issue with you in detail.

I hope this helps!

How much fat do I need?

Thank you for your question and this is a very common one. Fat from another human is not able to be grafted. Your body would see those cells as foreign and attack them. This is a similar concept as an organ transplant, but patients receiving organs take medications to prevent rejection. So unfortunately your husband's fat is not an option. As to how much fat is needed per cheek, this is different for every person. For some women 300cc is all they need or want, and others desire 1000-1500cc per cheek. Only a consultation to discuss your wishes and examination of your buttocks could help answer that question intelligently. Good luck to you.

You are not able to use fat from other people.

The amount of fat that can be injected into each buttock can vary from 400ml to 2000ml, However most surgeons will not use more than 1000ml per cheek.  A number of factors will determine how much fat is injected including how much fat is available, how much is wanted/needed and the elasticity of the skin.

Eddy Dona, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Brazilian Butt Lift - Fat Transfer amount ranges from 200 cc to over 1000 cc

The amount of fat that can be transferred into the buttocks depends on how much can be harvested from other areas of the body, and the patient’s current buttock and hip / waist shape in relation to their end goal. Since this varies from patient to patient, there is no specific amount of fat that goes into each side of the buttock. In general it ranges from just a few hundred cc to over 1000cc per side. For a smaller and thinner patient, a little fat goes a long way, so while there are limits to the size increase possible, even thin patients tend to see a nice improvement in their curves.  

Unfortunately, it is not possible to have a fat transfer from another person (it it were, I’d have patient’s lined up to donate…). Just like our organs and our skin, every person’s fat is unique to their body and it would be rejected if used for grafting to another person.

Hope this helps,

Nick Slenkovich MD

Borrowing Fat From Others

There are "alternative" areas of fat besides the thighs, flanks, and abdomen where fat can be obtained. However, thin patients may have trouble providing the necessary volume of fat to achieve their aesthetic goals especially if those goals require a moderate to large increase. Average volumes injected in my practice are 400-500 cc's. However, each patient is different and has different aesthetic goals so I frank discussion with your plastic surgeon to express your goals is necessary such that a realistic assessment can be made for you in terms of achieving said goal. Unfortunately, fat from your husband is considered foreign to your body's immune system and would be rejected as well as would stimulate a profound immune response by you.

Alexander Ereso, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon