What is this type of tummy tuck? Can I have one of these instead or it's just rare cases? (Photo)

Fleur De Lis Tummy Tuck

Thank you for posting photos with your tummy tuck question.The photographs show a post operative patient with an upside down T scar from a Fleur De Lis design tummy tuck which is sometimes used for massive weight loss patients. It is for patients who have significant both vertical and horizontal laxity of skin. It's French name comes from the design meaning Lilly Flower. Many patients do not like the visible abdominal midline scar from the Fleur De Lis, however. I recommend that you have a consultation with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that can examine you, discuss your surgical options, answer all of your questions and show many before and after photographs of tummy tuck results. Best widhes, Dr. Richard Swift

Fleur-de-lis

This type of tummy tuck is usually done when patients have had massive weight loss and need skin tightening in both the vertical and horizontal directions.A Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your region can help with counseling you in this regard. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

What is this type of tummy tuck? Can I have one of these instead or it's just rare cases?

Thank you for your excellent question.  This tummy tuck is termed a fleur-de-lis abdominoplasty and supplies further stomach skin tightening in those patients with a preexisting vertical scar, or who have had massive weight loss (>100 pounds).  This full vertical incision allows removal of any excess horizontal tissue, where a standard tummy tuck addresses excess skin in a vertical dimension.  See an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person evaluation to see if this tummy tuck is a possibility.  Best wishes!

This is a vertical TT. It is mostly used on patients who have undergone massive weight loss where excess skin is too severe to be adequately reduced by other techniques. You may choose to have this technique, but it may not be necessary in your case. Please seek the advice of a Board Certified PS in person before moving forward. I hope this helps.
Kind regards,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question about tummy tuck.

Tummy tuck incision patterns come in 3 varieties:

1. Standard or horizontal
  2. Vertical
  3. A combination of both - Fleur De Lis or Inverted T

To see what might work for you, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have tummy tuck or body contouring surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

It is vertical tummy tuck. Everyone can have it but should not.

There is nothing great about this approach. It is easy. Everyone can have it if they want. It is not the best way to have a tummy tuck since the scar is so obvious and can not be hidden.  It is called vertical tummy tuck.  

Vasdev Rai, MD

Tummy tuck

I agree with the other posts, the indication for this type of incision is excess skin that cannot be adequately controlled with the standard low horizontal scar and the downside is the long visible vertical scar. Most commonly used in massive weight loss patients (>100 lbs).

Mark Deutsch, MD

Inverted-T tummy tuck

Most likely there is a horizontal scar component of this scar being hidden by the undergarment. 
Try google imaging:
   "fleur-de-lis tummy tuck"
   "inverted-T tummy tuck"
This additional scar allows the surgeon to take even more skin away, making the trunk tighter in yet another dimension. BUT, most patients would never agree to such a visible scar. In fact, unless the patient is a massive weight-loss patient or has significant excess skin, that additional scar is unnecessary and great results can be achieved with the classic horizontal scar.
Hope this help!
good luck!
Dr. Subbio

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Vertical scar from a tummy tuck

Yes, this is rarely done except in specific circumstances such as massive weight loss or a pregnancy in which multiple babies were born.  The reason this is done is because there is laxity of the entire abdominal wall which is horizontal (ie, side to side) instead of the usual laxity of the abdomen which is vertical.  This is called a Fleur-de-Lys tummy tuck.

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
New York City

This is a tummy tuck with a vertical incision. It can be done in selected patients depending on where the loose skin is located. 

See link below for examples (case #108)

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS