Is there any way to make a tummy tuck without loosing head hair?

Any supplements, anything to prevent the hair loss due to stress of surgery?

Can't say thats been a big issue

I can't remember a patient complaining of hairloss due to the stress of surgery. I wouldn't put it high on your list of concerns. Good luck

Munster Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss from stress

It is unusual to lose hair after surgery but this may be related to stress. Unfortunately, there is not good way to diminish the risk if it should happen.

This is a very rare occurrence unless you have had a history of it from a prior surgery. There are over the counter hair and nail vitamin supplements that you can take that may help. The good news is that this type of hair loss is temporary.

Don W. Griffin, MD

Hair loss from the stress of surgery

Although very rare, the stress of surgery can cause temporary hair loss.  It should all return to normal after the procedure.  As far as I know, there are no supplements to prevent this.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question.  Though the stress of surgery can lead to some temporary hair loss I would focus on maintaining a healthy overall lifestyle as you will see the hair regrow in the months following your procedure.  

Avoiding hair loss from surgery

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck and hair loss.

• Surgery of any kind can lead to hair loss -
  • Fortunately it is from the hairs going into a resting phase and all the hair sheds at once.
  • The hair should grow back over the next six months or so.
  • The best way to minimize this is to go into surgery very fit and healthy - having lots of fresh fruit, fresh vegetables and exercise. Being fit gives you the very best resistance to surgical stress.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Pre Op Health/Hair Loss

This hasn't been an issue reported by my patients however if you wish to take health supplements, I recommend that you speak with your Plastic Surgeon about their guidelines and restrictions for medication and supplements. Many things can interfere with blood clotting/bruising. Be sure to ask your surgeon questions and address all of your concerns so that you feel comfortable with the surgical plan and experience minimal stress throughout your procedure. Good overall health and nutrition are important for healing well.

All the best

Jerome Edelstein, MD