How should I remove the tattoo? (Photos)

I got this tattoo done when I was 18, Im now 22 and want tô remove it. The tattoo hasnt been retouched and faded due tô sun exposure. The pin up is composed of light shading. Which parts of the tattoo would be the hardest tô remove 100%, if any?What would be the ideal form tô remove it? What are the chances of scarring/incomplete removal? I really want tô do it, but im scared the results might be worse than the already existing tattoo.... also it is a place where i don't want a big ugly blob.

Laser tattoo removal

Different wavelengths would be needed to successfully remove your tattoo. Green and red colors are harder to remove but Pico lasers proved to be successful in removing those colors as well. You would need at least 6 treatments to remove this, and it all depends on how your skin responses to the laser. There is always a risk of scarring and hypopigmentation, but it can be minimized if removal is done by an expert with experience and proper lasers to remove your tattoo. Good luck!

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

How should I remove the tattoo?

Hello, thank you for your question and for including photos.  I would like to start by saying that it is impossible to guarantee 100% removal of ink on any tattoo.  Because your body plays a part in the removal process, it cannot be guaranteed. Multiple colors of ink can be more challenging as it takes different wavelengths to treat different colors.  The latest technology in laser tattoo removal is pico-second technology.  The PicoWay Laser (Candela/Syneron) uses photoacoustic impact/pressure waves rather than photothermal/heat.  This process has less heat, therefore it is more comfortable and the chances of hyperpigmentation are less.  The Pico-second pulse shatters the ink into even smaller particles, allowing the body to more easily absorb the ink.  This type of technology can usually remove a tattoo in about half as many treatments as the traditional Q-switch devices.

Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

Tattoo removal darker skin 3 colors

I see black, red, and green colors in a dark skin person. I like the Piqo4 for this. It has the 1064 for black ink and 532 for red ink. The green ink is possible with the Piqo4 as well as the Picosure laser. If done with the proper lasers and the operator has experience, this should be significantly better. However, there is always risks of scarring, hypopigmentation, and residual pigmentation with treatment.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Tattoo Removal

Thank you for your question. Pico lasers are the most advanced technology. I prefer the PiQo4 laser which has 4 Pico wavelengths. Certain colors respond best to certain wavelengths. The amount of treatments can vary based on several factors such as the location of your tattoo, your skin tone, how sharp the ink is, and how quickly your body eliminates the ink. Even with advanced lasers and multiple wavelengths complete removal is not always possible. I think it is important not only to seek the best technology but an experienced laser tattoo removal provider.

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Laser Tattoo Removal Facts--Takes a series of treatments

I recommend getting a formal evaluation with a laser tattoo removal expert. It will take a series of treatments for removal. See an expert for best outcomes. Best, Dr. Emer

This tattoo has multiple colors and will multiple lasers to achieve the best results.

I would use a combination of the PicoSure (755nm) and the PrimaPico (1064, 532nm) lasers to remove this tattoo.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Tattoo removal

Your tattoo should be able to be removed with laser.  The most difficult color will be the light green.  Incomplete removal is always possible.  If you have a darker skin tone, which it looks as if you might have in the photo, hypopigmentation (lightening of the skin) is something that is also possible, especially with the laser wavelengths used on light colored inks.  However, that does not mean that your tattoo can't be removed without side effects.  I recommend that you see someone with a lot of experience in tattoo removal and have your tattoo examined in person.  Clearly explain your concerns to him/her. Conservative settings can be used to decrease the likelihood of side effects while seeing how your skin interacts with the laser.  A picosecond laser will likely work most completely and in the fewest number of treatments.