There is any way to perform a Fleur de Lis Tummy Tuck just with the vertical incision and without the horizontal? (photos)

Or the horizontal scar are really necessary?

Hello, thank you for your question and photo. It is best to use a #horizontal incision along with the vertical to provide the most excellent results. I suggest you receive an face to face evaluation from a board certified plastic surgeon to determine what #procedure will benefit you the most and meet your goals and #expectations. Best wishes to you!

you could do just the vertical scar, but most patients who need that improvement, would also need the horizontal scar as well. it will give you the most tightening for the abdomen. talk to your BCPS and share your goals for the surgery and your improvement.

There is any way to perform a Fleur de Lis Tummy Tuck just with the vertical incision and without the horizontal?

Thank you for your question.  It is possible to only do a vertical scar in order to remove skin excess in a horizontal direction but most patients will also have vertical skin excess, necessitating the horizontal scar.  Each patient requires an examination to create an individualized surgical plan, but few patients would benefit from merely a vertical incision.  Hope this helps. 

Only Vertical Incision Tummy Tuck

The fleur-de-lis tummy tuck implies two incisions one vertical and the other horizontal. From your photos I can see why you would like to only have the vertical component. A face-to-face exam would help determine whether that's possible without leaving skin access that we call a dog ear at the bottom above your hairline. Find a board-certified plastic surgeon in your region to discuss. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

INdications for fleur the lis

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

The fleur the lis was design to address not only the vertical component of the abdomen but the horizontal at the same time. sacrificing on the technique will carry on with less of a correction of the original problem and generating new ones that usually are corrected by the horizontal component.

Every body is different and in some cases the vertical approach might be sufficient. physical exam is granted.

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey

TT without horizontal scar

Thank you for the question and I can see via the photo why you would like to avoid the horizontal scar.  That said an examination is needed to see where exactly your laxity is and whether one could get away without the horizontal incision.  So see some experts in your area.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Fleur de lis tummy tuck without horizontal incision

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

• Yes, the vertical tummy tuck can be done without a horizontal incision.
  • The problem is that the skin tends to bunch at the upper and lower ends.
  • If the skin is stretched vertically, with hanging skin, it will be incompletely corrected.
  • It makes the tummy tuck easy to do - the muscle is direction underneath the incision.
  • But the scar is much more noticeable than the horizontal incision.
  • This tummy tuck is more often done in South America but it is always an option - especially for women who already have a vertical mid-line tummy scar.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Tummy tuck options

Thank you for the question and photo.  Excising tissue in an ellipse oriented vertically can be done without the addition of a horizontal incision/excision.  A lot will depend, however, on what dimensions the extra skin is present (up and down vs side to side).  In the end, its best to consider the final result that you want to achieve and then accept the incision/excision that will provide you with that result.  When done properly and with the use of scar treatment products like Embrace, the final incision can be very thin and almost imperceptible.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Fleur De Lis Vertical Incision

Thank you very much for your question.

Yes, it is possible.  However, most patients that wound benefit from the vertical incision also would benefit from a horizontal incision to remove even more skin.  I recommend consulting with a plastic surgeon who will examine you, and come up with a good plan after a discussion of your goals.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon