About losing hair strings during the day; some doctors told me 150-200, others told me 60-100 & now I'm confused?

The last time I asked this in here, some doctors said it is considered to be normal to lose like 60 to 100 hair during the day. Other doctors told that it is normal even more than 150 to 200 hair strings... Now I'm confused. After all, how many hair string it's normal to shed during the day?? 60 to 100 or 150 to 200??

Normal Shedding

As hair goes through its natural cycle, shedding is common.  In general 60-80 per day is common but 80-100 also within normal range.  If you are losing more hair, consider a full medical workup and evaluation.  There are a lot of preventative treatments available.  Consider cellular therapy if need treatment.  

Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Knowing What's Normal with Hair Loss

I suggest seeing a hair loss expert to evaluate and go over your condition and provide you information about your best treatment options. There are great non-invasive options like PRP/progesterone and/or hair transplantation. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

How many hairs are lost each day?

The hair cycle (anagen and telogen) have slightly different lengths of time. If your hair cycle is 3 years, then you calculate hos many hairs you have on your head. That number is 100,000/365 = 82 hairs per day. The longer your cycle, the less the number of hairs that you will lose per day.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

How many hairs is normal to lose per day?

I understand there is a lot of confusion. I hear it everyday. A person needs to understand a whole lot about how hair grows and how it changes with male balding to answer this question. Let me give some insight. 

For a male without balding, the anagen phase (growth phase) of the hair is about 3-7 years, but let's say 4 years on average. That's 1460 days. Keep in mind that a typical male has 100,000 hairs on the scalp (provided they have no balding). So , every 4 years, a male in this example has to replace ALL his hair. So what this means is that it's normal to lose about (100,000 divided by 1460) = 68 hairs per day if there is no balding going on. Yes, it might be higher and it might be lower. IT could even be as low as 35 hairs for some men who have a growth phase that's very long (i.e. upwards of 7 years)

Now consider a balding male. The anagen phase is NOT 3-7 years any more. Not at all. It is in fact 2-3 years and for some it's even as low as 6 months!!! But the balding male does not have 100,000 hairs on the scalp - they probably have about 60,000-70,000 at the time they first notice it. So for early balding, the rate of hair loss is about 60,000 divided by 1095 days (3 years) which equals 55 hairs per day (conservatively), For a rapid balding man with an anagen phase of 2 years, the rate of loss is closer to 130 hairs per day.

Does a very bald many with just a fringe of hair around the back lose 100 hairs per day. No way. That man has about 20,000 hairs left on his scalp and his anlagen phase in the area is about 2 years. He loses about 25 hairs per day and maybe even less. In essence he hardly notices. 

So what's normal daily loss for men? - probably 50-80 hairs. Most men are not losing above this per day EXCEPT if there is another scalp issue going on like male balding, alopecia, telogen effluvium or seborrheic dermatitis.