Will my breast sag if I take the implant out? I really want this but I'm afraid to become worse!

I visited 2 doctors. One told me to take out and wait and the other, to change the implant, cause i have so little tissue and i will hate the results. Here in Brazil they don't inject fat, ok? Im 45 y old, 6 years of implant and no children. My breast is firm and tight. What i the chance to sag?and to be happy taking it out?

Removal

An in person exam is needed to determine if you are a candidate for a lift.  When in doubt, just have the implants removed and live with that for a few months.  You can always have a lift later.  The decision does not have to be made at the time of removal.

Removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sagging from implant removal

There are many factors to consider. For example, how large are your implants and how elastic is your skin? Generally when implants are removed there is some sagging. If this is the case, your options to correct the sagging would be either replacing the implants or a breast lift. Your best bet is a consultation with a skilled Plastic Surgeon. 

Sagging from implant removal

Sagging Breast after Implant Removal

Once the implant is removed, the breast will often sag. The condition of the skin and the size of the implant are some of the contributing factors. Often upper pole fullness can be lost. Your plastic surgeon can give you ideas on what to expect based on your clinical exam. From your description, it sounds like you may have a capsule. Options could also include removal of the capsule and placement of a new implant.

Sagging Breast after Implant Removal

Implant removal and sagging

Removing implants can lead to a deflated look for many patients. Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

Implant removal and sagging

Implant Removal and Breast Shape

Thank you very much for your question.

It's usually difficult to predict the ultimate breast shape once implants are taken out.  Oftentimes a lift is "required" because the breasts do sag with implant removal.

The question to consider is why you are taking out the implants?  Is it because you don't like the size?  Or only because it's firm and tight (possibly because of a capsular contracture)?

If it's because you don't like the size, then you'll want to downsize or just have the implants out, and we'll see how your breast shape appears.

If it's because your breasts are firm and tight (again, possibly because of the contracture), placing a different implant in a new pocket (and maybe removing the capsule, depending on how much tissue may be left), should leave you with a softer, more natural breast.

I would discuss this further with your two plastic surgeons, or consult with others who will help you achieve your goals.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Implant Removal and Breast Shape

Thank you very much for your question.

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Sorry, but online consultants will be of much specific help to you. Generally speaking, what your breasts will look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed. Patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts. Consulting with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in person may be helpful. The attached link may be helpful to you as well. Best wishes.

Explantation

We have extensive experience with explantation and usually recommend a breast lift at the same time in order to avoid deformity and help with the shape.

Explantation