Does breast augmentation + areole reduction hinder breastfeeding? I'm 18 and I will only have kids up to 7 years from now

breast augmentation does affect the amount of milk that you can produce.  Women without breast implants are successful breast-feeding without supplementation 88% of the time whereas women with breast implants are successful 68% of the time.  Women who have an areola incision, which you will have with areola reduction are 5 times more likely to need supplementation with formula during breast-feeding.

Risks with future breastfeeding after BBA and areolar reduction

Just like any other breast surgery, there may be risks associated with breast-feeding after breast augmentation and areolar reduction.

However, problems with breast feeding is less of a concern for breast augmentation compared to a breast lift or areolar reduction. In fact, most women who undergo breast augmentation surgery will be able to breast-feed.

Now, areolar reduction primarily involves excising the areolar skin only and it does not change breastfeeding ability. The surgery is superficial in nature. 

That being said, there may be greater risks with the peri-areolar breast augmentation where the implant is placed through the region around the nipples. In breast augmentation through the inframammary incision, there will be very minimal manipulation or damage to the breast tissue, and as such, the milk ducts will not be harmed. If an appropriate evidence-based technique is used, there will be minimal effect on breastfeeding.

Often implants will also be placed under the muscle, preventing it from having contact with the breast tissue.

Any procedure that involves manipulation of breast glandular tissue and the milk ducts increases the risk of interruption with breastfeeding in the future.

That being said, changes in nipple sensation are very common: 1 in 7 women find their nipple less sensitive. This is especially true with large implants that may press against your sensory nerves near the breast tissue leading to either increased or decreased sensitivity in breast sensation. This is why going for a moderate sized implant is best. Nevertheless, the good news is that for most people changes in sensation are temporary, and everything returns to normal in a year or sooner. This is because as your breasts stretch to accommodate your implants, your sensory nerves will be less compressed over time. The final results from BBA can result anywhere from 3-6 months following surgery.

I urge you to have an in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon for more information. An in-person breast exam would provide a more accurate surgical plan.

It is best to have an in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes or is an expert in performing both procedures. Always consult with them first and honestly discuss your desires and expectations regarding your breasts. They should be able to provide you with detailed information about the risks of the procedures.  

Hope this helps!

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Augmentation

Areolar reduction involves excising the areolar skin only and does not change the ability to breast feed.  The surgery is superficial in nature. Through the same incision an augmentation can be performed to enlarge the breast.  The breast tissue can be avoided by tunneling over the breast mound and then underneath the breast for the augmentation. This spares the breast tissue for breast feeding, and spares sensory nerves to your nipple.  Talk to your doctor about this approach.Best wishes, Dr. Denkler

Breast Feeding Post Areola Reduction

Thank you for your question. Areola reduction involves incisions completely around the areola so there is a higher risk factor concerning breast feeding and sensation compared with breast augmentation using an IMF incision. I recommend that you book a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in this area and discuss your goals and expectations as well as future concerns such as breast feeding. They will be able to provide you with detailed information to inform your choice.
All the best