Can an 18 year old benefit from laser resurfacing (upper eyelids)? (Photo)

Hi doctors! I have a little bit of excess skin on my upper eyelids and that really annoys me. I'm thinking about having laser resurfacing, but I'm worried that it won't do much for me, as I'm 18 years old and - technically - at my maximum production of collagen. Is this even a thing? Would Thermage be a better option as it also heats the collagen?Downtime and pricing are not an issue for me - I just trul want to improve the look of that excess skin. Thank you a lot for your time!

18 year old eyelid problems

I have strangely performed an upper lid blepharoplasty on an 18 year old in the past. It was surprising, but that patient, by heredity, had a significant amount of excess skin in the upper lids, and the surgery was the best option, and gave us the result we wanted. I'd have to examine your eyelids to determine your best option, but a laser resurfacing could be a good alternative, as could a non-ablative treatment like Ultherapy, Exilis, Thermi, or Thermage, but I have only seen very mild improvements with any of those modalities. For a significant improvement, you may need a more aggressive laser treatment, or a minor in office upper lid blepharoplasty. The good news is that your photos only show a very small amount of excess, so I would recommend something easy with minimal if any downtime. You can always do something more aggressive if the easier treatment does not give you the result you desire.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.
Facial Plastic Specialist
Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty

Thank you for your question. Laser skin resurfacing is utilized primarily for wrinkles, skin pigmentation, acne scars and other scars. It seems that you are more focused on your eyelids, which can be addresses through a Blepharoplasty (or eyelid surgery) procedure. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon as the blepharoplasty can address excess skin.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Aggressive fully ablative laser resurfacing not advised at your age for eyelids

Not at 18, and the photos that I see. I would advice you to wait for a few years, if this is still bothersome, then possible fractional co2 can help tighten a little, at the age of 18 and the clinical photos I see, results with laser will be minimal. 

You may consider other options such as Ultherapy in the future.

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetics 
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Can extra skin on an 18 year old be lasered away?

Thank you for sharing your question and photos. Your eyes look attractive and do not need any procedures. As you age, the skin might sag more. If it becomes significant, then upper eyelid blepharoplasty is the solution. I hope you find this helpful.

Excess upper eyelid skin in a teen

Dear Danif10:

The excess eyelid skin can be mimiced by  swelling due to allergies or irritation.  I'm assuming the skin is not inflammed, nor does the excess skin come and go and that it has been present for years, unchanged. Likewise I'm assuming the skin appears normal, not waxy, thickened or otherwise showing a possible skin disease.  If this is truly excess skin, it is likely genetic and you have other family members similarly effected.  A non-surgical approach, albeit temporary, is to use Botox between the eyes to raise the brow.  This will,  if great enough elevation occurs, camoflage the excess skin by raising the brow.  Every 3-6 month injections are the norm and it is something you might not want injected indefinitely.  

Tightening the lids "permanently", aging notwithstanding, seems attractive.  Non invasive tightening like Thermage and the newer fractional radio frequency machines can sometimes give great results but in my experience never as impressive or long-lasting as ablative (wounding) resurfacing with the CO2 or fractional CO2 laser.  If you this direction, the old style non fractional, maximally wounding laser works best but I would suggest you avoid it.   I would instead use the newer, safer and slightly less effective fractional CO2 laser.  You can have one treatment with high energy or a series of lower energy treatments.  Either has been shown  to be effective.  My bias is to do no harm.  If a series of safer, minimal downtime (2-4 days of redness) can get the same results as deep CO2, then I find it preferable.  Typically between 2-5 treatments are necessary.  You can look up Dr. Katz at the Juvamedispa.  He has written about the Madonna Lift technique.   At our LA office we will do both a surgical blepharoplasty with  fractional CO2 laser at the same time for improved tightening and to lessen the amount of skin that has to be removed by the surgery.

Christopher Dannaker, DO
Monterey Dermatologic Surgeon