Removing implants through areola; Are there is the possibility of loss of most breast tissue ?

I have a question about removing silicone implants through the areola . There is the possibility of loss of most breast tissue ? And the trend is the areola pigmentation change?

Remove implant through areola.

It is possible to remove implant through areolar, the technique is same as incision at other areas.
There will be NO breast tissue removed, all breast tissue will be preserved.

Areola pigmentation will also not change since the cut will be just at the border, no cut traverse on pigmentation.  The final scar usually turn out quite nice.

Thailand Plastic Surgeon

Removing implants

Usually the best breast incision used to remove implants is the original breast incision used to insert the implants. Sometimes, for a variety of reasons, a new incision is best. If your capsule is fairly thin, you should not loose too much breast tissue. Typically the areaolar incision does not change the pigmentation of the areola. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing all your concerns.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal incisions

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, breast implants can be removed by any of the three common incisions used to place the breast implants. There are pros and cons for all of the incisions. The areolar or nipple incision places a scar on the visible area of the breast and tunnels through the breast tissue to get access for breast  implant placement.  Using this incision a second time increases the damage to the breast tissue. It also increases the likelihood of the scar becoming darkened and even more noticeable.

The under the breast incision also puts a scar on or very near the breast. Its benefits are that there is no trauma to the breast tissue and the scar is usually hidden in the breast fold of the breast. This is especially true with breast implant removal.

The armpit incision, is the farthest away from the surgical area and will require the largest incisions to accomplish what should be a relatively easy feat. This removal would be very difficult with silicone gel breast implants.

Often with breast implant removal surgeries, some breast reshaping may be required. This can not be done through the armpit but can be done using the areolar or breast fold incision. So out of the three, I typically recommend using the under the breast or IMF incision. But the areolar scar in select cases is fine.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon