How to pick right plastic surgeon?

I might be going for rhinoplasty, and I'm worried about finding the right one which is normal because they are molding my facial features.

Finding a rhinoplasty surgeon

You need to look for a surgeon who is board certified in plastic surgery or facial plastic surgery, does frequent nose surgery, his website has before and after patients with natural outcomes including all of the standard views (front, profile and head tilted back), the pictures and the background colors are matching. Your choice surgeon should have enough experience in rhinoplasty, preferably teach the topic, would have done some research, written articles about the nose surgery collectively demonstrating a passion for rhinoplasty.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

How to find the right rhinoplasty surgeon

There are many issues that patients can look into find the right rhinoplasty surgeon.  Look at the rhinoplasty surgeon's board certifications, testimonials, reviews and ratings. In addition, look at the surgeon's rhinoplasty before and after photo gallery to make sure it is extensive, which reflects the doctor's dedication to the discipline of rhinoplasty. A large photo gallery for rhinoplasty means the surgeon as a large rhinoplasty practice and performs them often. Ask about open versus closed rhinoplasty, and make sure there's no painful packing or stents placed inside the nose. In addition, ask who will be doing the anesthesia and where is the surgery being performed.

Choosing a surgeon

All the previous answers are good advice.You also may want to check the Provincial Medical Board (In USA its the State Medical Board) for any sanctions or other disciplinary actions taken against the doctor's license.Also is there is a history of a slew of medical malpractice claims, this is a red flag.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Take Time to Find the Right Rhinoplasty Surgeon

You are wise to be concerned about finding the right surgeon for a major procedure like rhinoplasty, which requires deftness, delicacy, and experience. Below is a guide I've prepared that will help you find the right facial plastic surgeon for the job, plus prepare you in other ways to have the most gratifying outcome. I hope this helps.

Choosing a Rhinoplasty Surgeon

When looking for a plastic surgeon to perform your rhinoplasty procedure, you'll want to consider a few things. First and foremost,  make sure the surgeon you choose is board certified with many years of rhinoplasty experience. It's also important to look at the surgeon's before and after photos to ensure they are in line with your expectations and desires. Lastly, make sure to schedule an in-person consultation with the surgeon, so that you feel completely comfortable with him/her. Good luck. 

Picking the right plastic surgeon

Thank you for your question.  You should schedule a consult with a reputable Board Certified plastic surgeon that specializes in rhinoplasty.  You should look at their reviews, before and after pictures and credentials.  Your surgeon will be able to address your thoughts and concerns with a treatment plan.  Best of luck!

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty surgeon

You are best to go for a few consultations and see who gets good results, and if you are comfortable with them.  Good luck.

Choosing the right surgeon

I agree with Dr. Singer and Dr. Fernau. There comments are very good.The only thing that I would add, implied in their comments, is that surgeon have at least 10-15 years of experience.Best of luckLeland Deane MD FACS

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

How to pick right plastic surgeon?

I would suggest that have a consultation with a plastic surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience who
should be board certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or the Canadian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (CSAPS)  that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.
Robert Singer, M.D., FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon