Will Upper and Lower Blepharoplasty fix saggy top lid and sunken lower eyes? (photo)

I'm looking for a surgeon in the MD/VA/DC area familiar with concerns of performing Blepharoplasty on African American Skin.

To find doctors in your local area, please click here. 

Doctor Answers 5

Will Upper and Lower Blepharoplasty fix saggy top lid and sunken lower eyes?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You are a good candidate for upper blepharoplasty. Lower Blepharoplasty will not completely correct the contour problems of your lower lid/ cheek junction area. Fillers are a good alternative and can be done in the office. A mid-face lift is another option, but I would favor fillers in your case.

An Oculoplastic surgeon is the eyelid specialist you need

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would prefer to evaluate your eyelids in order to give you the best opinion, but looking at your pictures, you would benefit from upper blepharoplasty. Sunken lower eyelids can be made more sunken by surgery are best addressed with filler. It also looks like your lower eyelids have become longer than they used to be, a change that results from descent of the cheeks. Non-invasive techniques, such as Thermage, can improve the cheek position and optimize your eyelid rejuvenation and complement the surgical results.  

Elba Pacheco, MD
Annapolis Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 6 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You look like a nice candidate for a blepharoplasty. You can start your search by going to the ASPS or ASAPS websites  to find someone in your area.

Eyelid surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for upper lower eyelid blepharoplasty.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Eyelid surgery in african american patients

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

You are a great candidate for upper eyelid blepharoplasty. your lower eyelids have prominent indentation (arcus marginalis) this feature could be improve with release. some surgeons would offer injection of fillers or reposition fat. 

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.