Breast augmentation pain; is this normal? (Photos)

Hi i had a breast aug 4 days ago i am in so much pain . i have 750 cc saline under muscle. The stiches hurts under breast and i am swollen hard and very tight. I developed a. Brown air bubbles on left breast. I ask my doctor which is 4 hours away and they said its not from sugery it is dermatisis. The pain is bad i asked him a refil for pain meds and they said to take tylenol extra strength. Tylenol dont even cure my headache.

Wait for some time

The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.

Post Op Discomfort

I'm sorry to hear about your discomfort. Many Plastic Surgeons prescribe strong, narcotic pain medication for use post op when pain is the most severe. As pain is subjective, some patients will get by with only Acetaminophen and others will need stronger pain relief. You have very large implants placed and significant swelling, tightness and some discomfort would be expected. As for blistering on the skin, it would be best to have that assessed in person. If you cannot see your Plastic Surgeon in person for whatever reason they should be able to refer you to someone near you or you could contact a local Plastic Surgeon yourself to ensure that you have follow up care.

All the best

Pain post Breast Augmentation

You need to contact your surgeon again and probably even go and see them. It's normal to have some pain and discomfort after surgery but if you are not managing then you need to be seen by them.

Breast complications with pain

It is always best to be seen by your surgeon especially in light of the fact that you are only 4 days post op , not only will the visit  allay your concerns and but it will  provide early intervention for any issues that may be arising.

Walton Montegut, MD
Newport Beach Physician

Breast augmentation pain; is this normal?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your current discomfort.  Though some degree of pain is common for the first 1-2 weeks after surgery it would be important to discuss with your surgeon your current issues namely the blistering and skin discoloration of your skin.  It would be wise to have an in-person examination to ensure that no other issues are taking place that could be compromising your results.  Best wishes.

To begin with you used a clinic so the follow up care and availability of the surgeon is limited. Have you spoke directly with your assigned surgeon? I bet not!. Options: Go to Urgent Care or ER for Rx for pain relief, could cost a few $$s. Seek a second opinion in person from local boarded PS, of course pre paying for the visit (around $500). Or be at the Miami clinic early Monday morning to be seen, if possible do the 4 hour drive leaving at 4 am to arrive by 8 am. Guess you get what you pay for - no follow up available.. 

Go see your surgeon

I realize your surgeon is 4 hours away, but these questions and concerns are best addressed by your surgeon in person. There are clearly other options for pain control and to assist with muscle spasms if that is the problem with the implants under the muscle. 

Pain after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. You should certainly make an appointment to see your surgeon. A 750cc implant is a very large implant for a primary augmentation. When an implant that size is placed under the muscle, it can be quite uncomfortable for some time. I write most of my patients for oxycodone, but  have them take valium to relax the muscles and ibuprofen as well to decrease the level of discomfort. You are going to meed to make a trip the 4 hour there and 4 hours home to see you surgeon to make sure there is not an issue and see what other suggestions they have for discomfort. I hope you feel better quickly.

I would recommend you call and see your surgeon and discuss it with him further if you are having any issues. It's always best to work with your surgeon at this stage. It may be necessary to drive over there and have them take a look best of luck

Need for follow up

Pain after breast augmentation is usually very manageable and what you are describing is not expected.  Please contact your surgeon and obtain follow up as soon as possible.