Does your BMI have to be at 30 or less to get a Tummy tuck procedure?

BMI less than 30

No it does not.Before I do a tummy tuckj I have my patients get medical clearance from their primary care doctor and get some lab data.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Greetings. In general, a BMI of 30 or less would be to your advantage. This would lower the risk of surgery and lower the possibility of complications. Also, it would help your overall result. Sometimes, exceptions are made (depending on the circumstances).  Good luck!

Ravinder Jarial, DO

BMI less than 30?

Thank you for your question. As others have said, a stable weight and a BMI under 30 has a reduced chance of complications. While that is ideal, we don't live in an ideal world. Each patient is different than the next  and the physical examination along with an accurate medical history helps us  to taylor a treatment plan that will help the patient not only reach their goals, but do it safely. Hope this helps. 

Raj Ambay, MD
Board certified Plastic Surgeon.
Offices: Wesley Chapel and Brandon, FL

Tummy tuck bmi

There is not a written rule of what your bmi has to be in order to get surgery. The real key is what are your goals and are they realistic. If your bmi is over 30 you will get an improvement with surgery but it is unlikely that you will get an hourglass figure with a higher bmi. 

Jonathan Amspacher, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Most plastic surgeons suggest that you finish having children, get your weight within 10 pounds of your ideal weight, and have a BMI less than 30 before undergoing an abdominoplasty with repair of the stretched out abdominal muscles and liposuction of selective areas, in order to achieve the best long term cosmetic result with the least potential complications.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Based upon your other question with posted photo, your result would dramatically improve after at least 30 pounds weight loss... 

Thank you for the question. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively. As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you. Having said the above, occasional patients do benefit from panniculectomy surgery as a “jumpstart” to achieving their final goals. You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss, helpful to you as you consider your options. Best wishes.

It is always best to be at your ideal body weight before having surgery as it will lower your risks of having complications.  Most PS will want you to have a BMI below 30.  But we do make exceptions depending on other health issues as we know some patients can never get to that magic number but to be closer to 30 is preferred.

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon