When can you have sex after vaginoplasty? (Photo)

When can you have sex after vaginolpasty? I still have some itchyness which I think is from it still healing. I am 1 month and a week after surgery and I don't want to wait anymore, but I don't want to infect it or anything. Help please ?? I also have discharge like all day long and I even had it before the surgery.. Any pills to stop this? It's very annoying and smells when I finish my day at work

Intercourse after vaginoplasty

Thank you for your question. sexual activity and tampon use should not resume for at least 6 weeks. Specific exercises such as vaginal (expanding/enlarging) and scar massage may be put into place during this period. You should also avoid baths, swimming and hot tubs during your recovery period.Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeon Hoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrookChicago

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Sex Following Your Vaginoplasty

We recommend to our patients that they wait six to eight weeks before resuming physical activity and sexual #intercourse. If you had a #vaginoplasty it is also recommended that some stretching exercises of the surgical site start at six weeks to soften any scarring that may occur and to make the sexual experience more comfortable after surgery. This stretching exercise is not needed if you had a labiaplasty alone.
If you have certain concerns about the #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Healing after vaginoplasty

Vaginal rest or abstaining from intercourse for 6 weeks following surgery is recommended. You should see your surgeon for treatment of what sounds like a yeast infection and BV and also for clearance to resume intercourse

When can you have sex after vaginoplasty?

Dear Hollowzen,

Thank you for your question.  I recommend to my patients to wait until they have had an exam at about 8 weeks after surgery to resume sexual activity.  This allows for the majority of the tenderness (if not all) to be gone.  The discharge you describe is normal and is related to the sutures dissolving and should be gone by 8-10 weeks.  Increase your water intake and use a perineal squirt bottle after you use the bathroom to help keep clean.  No one can smell you (I have had patients express this concern to me before).  Itching is also due to the healing process and an over-the-counter antihistamine like Benadryl can be helpful, and using oatmeal soaks (Aveeno is one brand) as it is soothing to the irritated tissues.

If you have sex too soon, you risk hurting yourself and your surgical results, so it's best to be patient at least another week or so.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Dr. Troy R. Hailparn

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Sex and discharge

You should wait a good 6 weeks before resuming intercourse. Yes, you can tear the tissues if you do it before then, and then you'll have to wait months for it to heal adequately (by second intention). So wait.

As far as discharge, it is totally normal to have quite a bit of discharge after vaginal rejuvenation. This is due to the healing process. However, if itching and discharge becomes severe, you may have developed a yeast infection that needs treatment. See your doctor if this develops. Good Luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Thank you for your question and photograph. Sex can typically be resumed six weeks after surgery but best to have this cleared by your surgeon after an in-person examination. They can also diagnose the cause of your discharge as one would want to rule out a UTI, yeast infection, or suture related issue. 

You can have sex after your vaginoplasty has healed

Six to 8 weeks is the typical healing time, but it requires an exam by your surgeon to be certain because everyone heals at their own pace. The presence of discharge might be related to suture material dissolving and it never has a pleasant odor, but your surgeon will be able to tell.