When will sex feel normal after vaginoplasty?

I'm coming up to 7 weeks now this Friday from my vaginolpasty surgery. I've seen my surgeon three times now and said I was healing great and I see him again this Saturday. I tried to have sex now 2 times and it was unsuccessful. I can only get the tip in and a finger just kills! The pressure is unbareable. It feels like there is a wall inside me. How long does this last for??

Intercourse after vaginoplasty

Thank you for your question. While improving your sexual function is a first (or most important) goal of rejuvenation, it’s impossible to predict how different women will respond sexually after surgery. Usually, women report stronger, tighter muscle tone and increased feeling/excited feeling for both them and their partner. The effects of renewed self-confidence after surgery can also be a contributor to an improved sex life after surgery. sexual activity and tampon use should not resume for at least 6 weeks. Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeon Hoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrook Chicago

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Sex again

Dear Hollowzen;

Hopefully things have returned to normal if the have not by now there is a very good chance you would need a revision. It is possible to be too tight after surgery and after 12 weeks you are not showing signs of improvement you might want to consider getting a second opinion.

Hope you are doing well

John R Miklos MD
Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Too tight after Vaginoplasty- can't have sex!!

As a surgeon who has performed > 100 therapeutic vaginal tightening procedures, I can say the following:

1. Successful, happy sex WILL happen and, after initial "...re-adjustments," will undoubtedly be superior in both "feel" and "friction" than it was previously. Of course, please have your surgeon check you for the (unlikely) possibility that a suture might have been placed too tightly in the mid-pelvis causing the "blockage" you describe, and might have to be removed.

2. Use plenty of lubrication (I advise a good silicone-based lubricant such as "Wet Platinum," or "Pink Silicone,") which may be liberally and lovingly applied by each of you to the other's sensitive & sensual parts.  His fingers (similarly coated...) are a good starting point; he can be a good "finger-dilator...(what's not to like!?). When you feel ready (no hurry: there are lots of ways to get off sexually...), put him carefully in. 

3. If, after 2 full months post-op & lots of careful trying, you are unable to accommodate your lover, go back to your surgeon. Any genital plastic surgeon worth his/her salt will be prepared to successfully deal with your situation with progressively larger dilators, and probably will already have them in his/her office (I have...) Remember, you once passed a child's HEAD through that area!  Vaginas dilate. If you are menopausal, it will be important for you to initially re-estrogenize the area prior to dilation (personally, I do not operate on under-estrogenized vaginas until a 2-3 month pre-operative therapeutic re-estrogenization...)

4. ...And, don't forget about post-operative pelvic floor physical therapy to keep your muscles strong & prevent relapse!

Best wishes. The weblink below and other areas of the site including blogs may be of assistance to you.

Michael P Goodman MD

Sex after vaginoplasty

If the opening is too tigh tfor intercourse following vaginoplasty, this can usually be corrected using vaginal dilators. You shoudl express your concerns to your surgeon at your next visit so they can address what specifiically is causing this symptom. You can follow the link below to read about vaginal dilators. However, you should wait to start these until after your exam with your surgeon.

Painful sex after vaginoplasty

Sex will be very uncomfortable at first but should resolve by 3 months post op. I ask patients to return if pain is discomfort persists beyond 6 weeks of regular attempts.
If you can't even achieve penetration then you need to see your surgeon who'll need to determine the cause. Your opening may be too small and thus a revision may be necessary. You may be having intense guarding which creates vaginismus. You'll need an evaluation.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Vaginoplasty too tight for sex the first time?

If it's only 7 weeks after your vaginoplasty, you're right on the border of complete healing. See your surgeon to make sure everything is completely healed. If so, the simplest way to stretch the vagina to a more comfortable diameter is with the use of vaginal dilators. A typical routine starts with the largest dilator you can insert comfortably for 5-10 minutes three times per week until you reach the size you want. There's a little more to it, but it's simple and very effective. If it's still too tight, botox injections into the muscles might help. And when all else fails, a surgical adjustment can always be done.