Can have a tummy tuck if I am diabetic?

After having 4 kids I end up with an apron stomach.

TT with Diabetes

Hi and thanks for the question. Diabetes does not prohibit you from having a tummy tuck. You will however require a medical work up to make sure that you are healthy enough for surgery. Best of Luck - Dr Hardy

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Can I have a tummy tuck if I am a diabetic?

You most certainly can have a tummy tuck performed even though you are a diabetic. It would be important that your glucose levels be well controlled prior to and after the procedure. The doctor managing your diabetes should be involved both before and after the procedure as well. The risk of complications after this type of surgery are slightly higher in long term diabetic patients.Therefore mild modifications to the tummy tuck technique are sometimes exercised in order to maximize the blood flow of the elevated and tightened tummy skin.These modifications are done in order to further reduce the risk of healing problems and/ or infection. Best of luck! 
P.S. I am located in your area and would be happy to evaluate you.

Tummy tuck and diabetes

this depends upon how well controlled your blood sugars are and your overall health.  you should discuss it with your doctor that manages your diabetes and then consult with board certified plastic surgeons to review your specific options.

Can I have a TT if I am diabetic?

You absolutely can have a tummy tuck if you are diabetic, but depending on whether or not you take insulin and how well your sugars are controlled will determine how much risk you are at for postoperative complications such as wound infection and wound breakdown (healing problems).  Check with your PCP or endocrinologist to make sure he or she knows that you are considering surgery and be sure that your hemoglobin A1C is as close to normal as possible prior to surgery.  Also, make sure that your PS knows that you are diabetic and what meds you take.  As long as your sugars are well controlled and your BMI is not over 35 (under 30 would be preferable), you should be fine.  Best of luck!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Yes

You can have an abdominoplasty safely performed if you have diabetes.  Your blood sugar has to be well controlled for several months prior to the surgery.  Also, you may need to adjust your medications prior to surgery.  Your surgeon and primary care doctor can work together to make sure you have a safe and successful procedure.  Best wishes, Dr. T

Tummy Tuck after pregnancy

Congratulations on having 4 children.  What a joy!
Doing a tummy tuck on someone with diabetes is reasonable assuming you are otherwise healthy without any other major medical issues and your diabetes is under good control.  It is would be wise to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to see what workup might be necessary before proceeding with surgery.  You could also consult with your primary care physician to see about getting clearance for the surgery.  

Best of Luck.

Rupesh Jain, MD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Diabetes and a Tummy Tuck?

Thank you for your question!
I will say it depends on the type of diabetes you have.  In my practice I recommend my patients have a BMI of 30 or below.  You will need to be cleared for surgery by your primary care physician, just to be on the safe side.  Be sure to find a board certified plastic surgeon for your procedure.
Best of luck to you.

Fred Hackney, MD

Tummy tuck - ok if I am diabetic?

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

• Children are wonderful but our bodies pay the price!
  • If your diabetes is under good control and your diabetes doctor clears you for surgery, you should be able to have your tummy tuck - and enjoy the result.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Dr Derby

If you are well controlled with your diabetic condition there is no problem to have a procedure done. Always talk this over with the surgeon of your choice. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Diabetes and Tummy Tuck

Thanks for the question

If you have all your values under control, and at the time of your surgery your Glycemic and Hemoglobin A1C is under reference values there's no issue for you to have the procedure you'll like.

Always remember that in your condition of diabetic you need to be extra careful in the post op since healing is longer for diabetic patients.

I'll recommend a complete previous evaluation with both your Doctor and the plastic Surgeon first.

Best of Lucks...

Disnalda Matos, MD