I had a mini tummy tuck 3 weeks ago. This week I have been having pain on the left side of the incision. No swelling or redness?

It helps some to wear my binder. It seems I was doing better last week than I am this week. Could I have torn my internal stitches or tissue? There is no redness or outward sign of infection. If I put more weight on that side I definitely feel it.

Mini Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

DrDERBY

Thank you for your question. It is very important to refrain from heavy exercise or activity in the first weeks after the procedure. Your surgeon will tell you exactly what to do and what NOT to do. Best of luck  

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Hello and thank you for your question,

It is a good sign that you have no redness or swelling. You could absolutely cause some damage if you don’t follow your doctor’s instructions on what sort of activities you can do during your healing process. I usually tell my patients to take it easy for two weeks post-surgery, no strenuous activities. If you are feeling pain that you are concerned with I highly suggest going back and speaking with your doctor. The doctor who performed your surgery would really know best as to why certain areas are hurting you. 

Sam Speron, MD

Too much activity

After tummy tuck surgery, I advise the patients to take two weeks off from work. The patients may return to work, but may not engage in any strenuous activity. At two months, the patients start low impact cardio. At three months they can engage in more strenuous physical activity. If anything hurts or causes swelling, we ask them to back off somewhat. If you exercise or do some particular activity that results in pain or swelling you are doing too much for your personal recovery at that time.  Not everyone heals the same.  You need to make sure that you don’t cause more swelling.  Fighting the swelling or working through the pain will certainly backfire. I prefer the patients to stay in town for two weeks if they from more than 2-3 hours away.  I do not allow patients to fly before 2 to 3 weeks at the very minimum.

Best course is to see your operative surgeon in person in a follow up examination to determine if there is an issue/s.