Will I need an uplift after having an explant? (photos)

I had 445 silicone implants put in 2.5 years ago. I'm 23 years old skinny frame. I use to be a 32c - quite saggy after loosing just over 2 stone. After my implants my scars have been itchy and bits of them are raised? I also find them very uncomfortable and do not like the feel of them. What do you recommend?

A Lift After Implant Removal?

Hi Jamie,It is difficult to say whether you will need a lift.  A lift tends to improve the shape of your breasts, particularly if the skin has been stretched, but the scarring is more obvious and it is a bit of a worry as you already have raised scars.  It may be an idea to have the implants removed and to see how the skin recoils but this is something to be discussed in more detail in you consultation with your surgeon.  With regards to your raised itchy scarring, massage can help and so can silicone sheets in the first instance and these can be purchased over the counter.

Will I need a lift after implant removal?

This is a very common question that I hear as a Plastic Surgeon and one that will probably receive a number of different answers.  To date, I have performed a total of ZERO lifts following implant removals and have performed several dozen in the last few years alone.  I find that my patients are generally very pleased with the results of their surgery if they wait for at least 6 months for the skin envelope to shrink down and contract.  At that point, they all definitely have less upper pole fullness but the shape is generally acceptable and not something that would require a lift.As for your itching scars, have your surgeon excise the current ones when they take out the implants and then use some type of silicone sheeting over the scars immediately after.  If that doesn't help you can resort to kenalog injections but I don't usually do those because they can tend to thin the skin and cause the scars to spread.I hope that helps and wish you the best of luck with your surgery!

Will I need an uplift after having an explant?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery. After reviewing your photographs, it does seem most likely that breast lifting would be indicated, if you choose to undergo breast implant removal surgery. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more about options. Best wishes.

You might consider going down in size and seeing if an internal lift would be helpful. Please talk to your surgeon about treatment for your scars. Kenalog injections could be helpful, and using products like Mederma or Scar Guard may also improve them, especially after surgery.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Remove breast implants and treat scars

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal.
  • I am sorry you are unhappy with your breast implants -
  • If you have your implants removed, you will almost certainly need a breast lift at the same time - 
  • Your skin was loose to start and will be looser after the implants are gone.
  • But if the only issue is the scars - ask your surgeon to inject the scars either with steroid or with steroid + 5-FU (5-fluorouracil) to flatten them.
  • Sometimes wearing a silicone tape strip (sold in pharmacies) will also flatten scars but they work better when applied soon after surgery.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast lift

A breast lift would be required with explantation of your implants. Please seek expert explant surgeon in your region 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS