Braces to Possible with Missing Teeth?

Hello doctor. I am missing teeth 12 & 13 and am planning on implants, but I also have a significant gap between my two front teeth that I would like to close.

Will braces be a possibility even though I am missing those teeth?

Thank you,

Doctor Answers 2

Braces with missing teeth.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Braces with missing teeth are not only possible, they are often the very best way to get everything set up ideally so that implants or bridges can be done to replace the missing teeth.  Most people don't realize that one out of every ten patients that come to see me as an orthodontist have at least one permanent tooth missing before we ever get to see them and sometimes a lot more than that.  In my practice I have treated patients with as many as 16 to 18 missing teeth. The whole point of the treatment was to position the remaining teeth so that the new artificial teeth could be placed in the best possible locations.  Cases like this are called multidisciplinary cases and you will usually need  to see at least an orthodontist to position the teeth,a  prosthodontist or restorative dentist to make the replacement teeth, and a periodontist or oral surgeon to place implants if they are going to be used.  You need to see all three of these doctors before any treatment is started and they need to work out the treatment plan together as a group so they all agree on everything and each understands their part of the plan as well as  that of the other doctors.  These cases are more difficult and slower but amazing things can be done when they are carefully planned and implemented

Phoenix Orthodontist

Braces before implants are usually a good idea

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Generally speaking, yes! Often "pre prosthic orthodontics" can make the other treatment work out better, meaning the space for the implant can be made ideal and the space in the front can be closed.

Having said that, since I have not seen you or what your condition is, the best thing to do is see a dentist or orthodontist so they can give their opinion based on clinical observation.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.